How come nobody told me about Lucifer's Friend?

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Hot damn.

Well, you know how it is...no matter how many new bands you try, or how many old bands you dig through, there is always one that has escaped you.
Really it's a good thing, because just when you think you are not gonna find anymore lost classics....well...

So, tonight a new friend gave me a copy of the debut album by Lucifer's Friend, released in 1970. My three word review is: Holy fucking shit.

For those of you who don't know, their singer is/was John Lawton of mid-career Uriah Heep fame. I've only got their debut, but it is a perfect mix between zep, purple and Sabbath. Doomy, but also kind of proto-metal ala 70s Priest.

I'm sure some of you are thinking, "yeah, no kidding...they rule.." (carnut?) but for those of you who don't know them, Lucifer's Friend's debut is an absolute must, especially for fans of the above mentioned bands (early 70s era of all mentioned, plus a dash of Nazareth, and bunch of other stuff).

My find of the year for sure.

Soundmaster, if you don't know these guys, you need this album, trust me. (I will gladly send it to you if you don't have it...)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DpOdf-_yM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DpOdf-_yM[/ame]

yeah, no kidding...they rule !!!! ;-)

There are a bunch more of these bands from the 70's ya know....
But Lucifer's Friend certainly is one of the better early bands!
Well, I made some samplers and will try to upload them somewhere tonight.
Haven't uploaded full albums yet, maybe someone knows what/where's easiest??
Bands like Night Sun(!), Jenghiz Kahn, Bodkin(!), Jerusalem, Andromeda, Art,Silberbart etc...

I'll have to check them out!

I recently came across High Tide's "Sea Shanties" album from same era (1969) which has some great heavy riffs & psychedlic flavor. Seems to be of comparable level of obscurity...

Good ol' Ride the Sky. Thanks for posting ElecWiz! Avantasia did a fantastic cover of that song on one of the Lost in Space EPs. Other than that song, I know of nothing by them - I'll have to check 'em out.

The debut, at the very least, I can vouch for in spades. I have read that it gets, um, interesting after that. But, it is a fantastic debut.

Sounds AWESOME! I love this type of "proto-metal"!

Check out this great new "retro" band, Graveyard. Theirs is a sound that truly combines Cream & Sabbath! Great stuff....a top 5 album from 2008 (IMO):

"Evil Ways"

"Blue Soul"
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLDyMG7n7A&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch, didn't I tell you guys about Graveyard either :oops:

The album is great, but I got to see them live and they disappointed a bit.

Also check out Black Bonzo, retro symphonic hardrock...

Carnut sent me a couple DVDs of old albums like these. Unfortunately, the Lucifer's Friend folder contains MPC files. I tried downloading the encoder for Winamp, but they don't play properly. So I can't hear it, yet. I might have to find a MPC to MP3 converter instead.

Good ol' Ride the Sky. Thanks for posting ElecWiz! Avantasia did a fantastic cover of that song on one of the Lost in Space EPs. Other than that song, I know of nothing by them - I'll have to check 'em out.

Somebody else did a cover of this song... can't thing of who it is though

Carnut sent me a couple DVDs of old albums like these. Unfortunately, the Lucifer's Friend folder contains MPC files. I tried downloading the encoder for Winamp, but they don't play properly. So I can't hear it, yet. I might have to find a MPC to MP3 converter instead.

The Lucifer's Friend files on that compilation are corrupted so don't waste your time trying to get them to play. I did and got nowhere. But do get that album some other way as it is indeed pretty awesome.

But which was first, "Ride In The Sky" or "Immigrant Song"? :heh:

Seems to work for me... except there's no seeders or peers so I'm not actually getting anything.

Yeah, I keep on trying to seed the thing, but it doesn't seem to work .... will work on it some more so keep trying Olly !!
Seems a problem with a "tracker" or so .....

edit...Can't figure it out, keep on getting an error I cannot connect to tracker....