Something that bothers me about DT

rahvin said:
i agree with that part. i just feel it's a little too judgemental to bash him 'cause he got excited and addressed his idol in a familiar way. true, you grow out of the idealization at some point in your life. but without knowing how old blind tranquillity is, and assuming he hasn't exactly spent a whole lot of time around his favorite musicians, i think you people are employing an excess of cynicism.
It's one thing to get excited and quite another to give up your point of view in the (esp. virtual) sight of your favourite musician, no matter your age.

@siren: i'm not sure if it matters or not. maybe feeling all enthusiastic about a guitarist in a metal band replying to his mail matters a lot to blind tranquillity. i can probably say that right now i wouldn't share his excitement, but shouldn't feel sounds awfully preachy to me. then again, it's probably just about your choice of words and my perception of it. as for not being so happy about getting an answer from your best friend, i never implied it would be so. yet again, what is it about it that makes it wrong? immoral? insensitive? i think it's just so normal i can hardly imagine a mind that wouldn't react in the same way, given the circumstances.
It's quite obvious that it matters quite a lot to BT (hence this discussion), but my point was that i don't think it really makes a difference in the greater scale.
I'm not trying to be preachy, i'm sorry if my choice of words doesn't meet your needs and/or standards. I'm just trying to express my opinion.
My infamous quote that "people shouldn't feel this way" was just an attempt at pointing out the need for some down-to-earth realism.
Again, i was not suggesting anything is wrong or immoral or insensitive about not feeling the same way for receiving a mail from a regular friend, i was just drawing the contradiction: in both cases you receive a mail from someone important to you, who you obviously hold in high esteem, but you just so happen to feel more excited by receiving a mail from the one least close to you.
And last but not least, that's exactly my point: it's just so normal. ;)
I think there are at least a few people who wouldn't react like that anyways, so your imagination must be a bit limited. ;)

rahvin said:
i was merely pointing out the way i see it.
as a random question, and with no intention of being snotty, i'd like to ask my fellow forumers this: is it ok to debate the content of what someone else has said in his/her post, even if it's obviously his/her opinion? [x3]
Just for the record, i never said it's not ok to discuss it because it's my opinion. The whole quote was
Siren said:
i'm not trying to dictate anything, i was merely pointing out the way i see it.

Siren said:
It's one thing to get excited and quite another to give up your point of view in the (esp. virtual) sight of your favourite musician, no matter your age.

wait a second. you were already done reprimanding him for his sudden turntable when i criticized the "shouldn't feel" post. you were rounding in on him for - like the king chaos quote you commented - "finding it emotionally satisfying that niklas commented". that's what you addressed your post at. in fact, you explicitly said that you understand that point of view but that people shouldn't feel that way. if you meant what you say above, instead, you should have been clearer.

It's quite obvious that it matters quite a lot to BT (hence this discussion), but my point was that i don't think it really makes a difference in the greater scale.

this is a moot point. the same could be said about our whole round of posting, if we pick a big enough scale. first define your frame of reference, then. otherwise you can keep jumping from one level to another calling any objection irrelevant in the bigger picture. if it's the bigger picture of giving meaning to one's life we're talking about, then you're absolutely right: bt cheering niklas is unlikely to matter that much.

I'm not trying to be preachy, i'm sorry if my choice of words doesn't meet your needs and/or standards. I'm just trying to express my opinion.

it's about expressing your opinion so that it can be understood, i don't think there's any other standard.

i was just drawing the contradiction:

i can see the interest in speculating on this subject. was someone objecting to it?

And last but not least, that's exactly my point: it's just so normal.

oh, good. it was mine too.

I think there are at least a few people who wouldn't react like that anyways, so your imagination must be a bit limited.

it's said that literal-mindedness constitutes a limit in itself.

rahvin said:
wait a second. you were already done reprimanding him for his sudden turntable when i criticized the "shouldn't feel" post. you were rounding in on him for - like the king chaos quote you commented - "finding it emotionally satisfying that niklas commented". that's what you addressed your post at. in fact, you explicitly said that you understand that point of view but that people shouldn't feel that way. if you meant what you say above, instead, you should have been clearer.
well, no. check the thread and the replies a little better. the reply you quoted didn't have anything to do with the "shouldn't feel" post, i was commenting on your reply to Hitori.
and well, shoot me for having more than one point to make on this thread.

this is a moot point. the same could be said about our whole round of posting, if we pick a big enough scale. first define your frame of reference, then. otherwise you can keep jumping from one level to another calling any objection irrelevant in the bigger picture. if it's the bigger picture of giving meaning to one's life we're talking about, then you're absolutely right: bt cheering niklas is unlikely to matter that much.
you're right, i never claimed that this whole round of discussion was of any real importance. in fact, it's growing old.

it's about expressing your opinion so that it can be understood, i don't think there's any other standard.
understanding is a two-way process, it can fail at both ends.

it's said that literal-mindedness constitutes a limit in itself.
ya hear that? :D

I think Rahvin is a great moderator.

[Disclaimer: This is my opinion and anyone that disagrees will be shot]

Let's add this question and Niklas' (aka Caotico)'s reponse to DT's FAQ! :D

Hello there!
Sorry I'm late. I've been in the army :( ...

I didn't imagine such a big argument will come out of this.
I thought I cleared things out before I left. Appearently I didn't...

As for me getting a reply from a band member: it is a very big thing for me. I've gotten used to not get replies from the band members and I guess this is the first one I've gotten in the last 2 years or so. So I think my enthusiasm can be understood. Especially when the band member flatters me (saying it's an interesting discussion).
My point of view really didn't change much, I still believe it's ideal that bands will enjoy their own music and be able to judge it in an objective way. I believe in trying to be as objective as possible in general, though I'm aware it's not easy. Niklas' (or Caotico's) reply only made me face some reality that I can't deny even if I don't like it, maybe now I'm not as naive as before... Should I feel sorry for not arguing with him and trying to make him ashamed for not listening to his music? I don't think so... Except for being impolite and ungrateful, I think it's would've been pointless. As I said, I was more curious to know the reason than angry about the subject.
I think that by getting the reply that it's an interesting discussion I reached as far as I could with this subject, since it means Caotico (or Niklas...) read what I said and didn't simply ignore it, and that he's aware of the subject and is not doing what he does out of lack of attention to it's importance. I can only hope that I might've pointed out some things that will enter his awareness and consideration.

Nevertheless, (as I've already said) it might've sounded as if I was just a silly fanboy in the end. I might've said things I didn't fully mean or just didn't express myself properly. I'd like to blame it on my enthusiasm if you don't mind. Anyway it was only one post, so please forgive me if you can.

btw, kinda funny that all through the (first) discussion almost everyone were defending the band and coming up with different reasons why it's okay for a band to not listen to it's own material (a thing which still sounds quite reasonable to me to expect from a good band), and I'm the one who came out the fanboy in the end...

Blind Tranquillity said:
btw, kinda funny that all through the (first) discussion almost everyone were defending the band and coming up with different reasons why it's okay for a band to not listen to it's own material (a thing which still sounds quite reasonable to me to expect from a good band), and I'm the one who came out the fanboy in the end...

actually that is a very good point
i guess we're all fanboys/girls to a certain degree, i mean, we ARE in their forum :p

No, you are all a bunch of elitist assholes.

-Andreas (it is lonely on the top, but it is nice to look down on all the others)

Blind Tranquillity said:
:lol:

nice point. ;)

Hey! :err:
That's not a very nice way to agree with this point I made.
After making fun of me like that, at least (if you agree) say something like 'it was wrong of us to make fun of you' or something of that sort...

Well, I guess that you agreeing should be enough. I can't really expect you to say something like 'we were so hypocrite and are really ashamed of ourselves right now' or anything of that sort.

Blind Tranquillity said:
Well, I guess that you agreeing should be enough. I can't really expect you to say something like 'we were so hypocrite and are really ashamed of ourselves right now' or anything of that sort.

yes, i guess that would mean that people are taking this as seriously as you, which is hopefully not the case.

I'm not really taking it that seriously. I was kind of exaggerating on purpose.

I was just saying what seemed to be more fit in my eyes. I mean, saying that I have a good point and smiling, while that point means that it was wrong (not in an aweful way, but still wrong) to do you did, seems like to be leaving yourself out and not taking the guilt that you're actually admitting that you should have, doesn't it?...

:rolleyes:

well, i dont know if you noticed, but i never tried to justify the band's not listening to their albums (as personally i dont give a fuck). i just agreed at the part in which i found silly how you fawned over caotico's reply after dismissing pages of other people's.

and it happens that i also agree that we all are in a way fanboys or fangirls.

is there ANY way to please you? i dont see why i should apologise for stating my opinion in a respectful way, and no, i dont think i did anything wrong, nor do i feel any kind of guilt.

maybe i should ask caotico to say what i just said in this post, so you understand