How Devin holds SM7B

Star Ark

Apr 6, 2010
Melbourne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuRuL3HbHg

Does anyone hold the SM7B like Devin in this clip? It's not quite cupping but he is covering the capsule big time. I started to experiment with it yesterday and it seems to make everything even more direct. However I don't have full mix to drop the vocal track into so it does feel a little too boomy right now. I imagine with a fully mixed song it could add some extra beefy. Thoughts?

Maybe I'm imagining it but just talking into an sm7b without cupping it and then cupping it makes a different. Sing a note uncupped hold the note and then cup it and I swear it is fattening the sound. It also makes it louder the more you cover - the higher up the grill you go the louder it gets. Maybe I'm going crazy but I can hear a difference

Seems simple to me, you are funneling sound but there is such space on the sm7 that you can still cup in a bit without overloading the mic like a 58 where the whole thing is covered. If you like it, do it.

Just tried and having the same results - there is more bass and loudness.
On a separate note, do we think Devin actually used those takes as they would have bleed and room sound?

On a separate note, do we think Devin actually used those takes as they would have bleed and room sound?

A small amount of bleed in an arrangement with drums and rock guitars won't hurt anything unless you add filter and distorion effects.

As for whether I like the sound I think yes. However I've been mixing for over a decade now and I have finally manned up and admited to myself I'm just not that good. Now I'm searching for the best tracking methods with plans to have someone else mix me. I feel like my own mixing skills are destroying my own songs!! So even if I think I am right I could very well be wrong

I think devin did use these takes, judging how critical he is about his takes, they are definitely final once he moves on. I think the bleed is so covered by the overall wall of sound his music uses, that he just does not care about it. He probably just takes care of it in more acoustic pieces, but not his typical wall of sound songs.

@Star_Ark : I am going through the same stage right now, that is why I planned into having an actual pro mix my songs when my "real" project comes into life, I am focusing into improving my tracking skills first and having the best signal chains possible to record my tracks, and slowly building up my mixing techniques by going back to basics (which I am doing right now). Hell I am even re-learning to mix volumes/pan these days.

@LeSedna

I think you should do that LeSedna, your list of influences is very out there and trying to get such an experimental sound will be a huge challenge. That being said I do think people like us can get our tracking skills to a high enough level that a pro mixer can do the rest.

He did say that he used those takes but thats not how he usually records his vocals..

Agree with Jeff, I like to track vocalists right behind me and never have an issue with bleed from the monitors.

It is quite an efficient way to do it. If holding the mic that way is comfy and sounds good, do it!

I feel like Devin is a fucking beast and would sound awesome through just aboot any mic held any way.