How Did You Discover Orphaned Land?

AdamCymru86

Wrexham AFC 1873-Forever
Nov 25, 2004
Wrexham, Wales, UK
Im curious as to how people discovered Orphaned Land. Mine was a complete fluke, I was reading the Nile messageboard where Karl Sanders (Nile frontman, guitarist) also happens to post. Everyone was like ''Karl your bands amazing, I love how you mix Metal with Oriental sounds''. So he said check out Orphaned Land they do it properly. I went on Amazon and found Sahara for £6, absolute bargain, and as they say the rest is history.

I was deeply into grunge and alt. music (preal jam, smashing pumpkins, AIC, ect.) and a friend of mine`s brother had sahara and he played me the beloved's cry.. thats where I was caught.
btw ada, talking about bargains, I found Dickinson's Chemical Wedding at the same price you found sahara! and that included shipment to israel! :)
(the rest od bruce's albums are available here.. for some reason that one was not)

7-8 years ago, my friends suggested me to come and see "the israeli metal band" live (don't remeber where.....but i remember how the poster looked like)......
I thought to myself "israeli band???"....thanx, but no thanx!!!
then they gave me "Sahara" and I though i will give a chance and listen to it......
I hate the production (the sound was terrible)......so I gave up.....

when I saw "Mabool" the first time.....I had to listen to it.....and of course.....people started to talk about this amazing new album.....so I had to try.....
I was shocked!......never heard something like that.....
so I had to give the other albums a second chance.....
DAMN......i was living 8 years in complete ignorance.....!!!!

BTW......the gig in Shuni fortress was the only OL's gig I've seen so far.....and it was one of the greatest.....can't wait for the future gigs.....(maybe the one in Athens as well)....

I picked up 'Sahara' at the used CD place, I forget if I had heard of them before this or if I had just read a good review. Nevertheless I was suprised at the similarities between Sahara and Paradise Lost's 'Shades of God' album, especially in the production.

I was on the century media website and i saw a news update about a metal band from israel on century media, so i was curious and checked out the mp3, and the next day i went and bought mabool, i have yet to be able to find any other cds by them, one of these day's i'll just have to order them from century media or the orphaned land website.

It was probably through an underground ( hey, this is 10 yrs ago, so I do not remember exactly) metalmag where I read a review of Sahara- a cd from an israeli metal band. Since I've always been very much keen on finding out about obscure and good bands I went to look for the cd. It cost me about 3 months to get it- pre internet times people!- but I was very pleased when I did get it. I was completely blown away by this very special mixture of styles.
I followed the band ever since, but none of my friends ever wanted to hear about it, it was not really their thing ( yes, the production on Sahara, you have to be able to listen "around"it)
But ever since Mabool was released I managed to get people to listen to it and most are left speechless by it! They - and me too ofcourse- fail to understand how such a masterpiece can go virtually unnoticed except for by people who wrote the reviews or fans that are into underground metal.
As I said before: this is probably because we
A> have a very good scene in Holland, with many good bands from home ground, so why look abroad? (abroad i.e. outside Europe)
B> Us europeans tend to think that there is no metalscene outside Europe, South America , the States and Japan. Just how wrong we are I found out on my trip to Istanbul.Yes< I have heard of some stuff, but I had no idea until I saw it myself.

But now that a lot of people know that I was in Israel they are coming up to talk to me about in concerts and other places. They want to know what kind of band it is, which had me go all the way up there and missing out of the dutch scene for quite a while ( I visit about 2 concerts a week) And this gets them to listen to it. Frankly I do not care how I raise their intrest, as long as I can do it and Orphand Land can benefit from it.

The year is 1997, and i am listening to a compilation cd given with the magazine "Metal Invader". The cd has selected songs from new releases. One song has the title "Of Temptation Born" of a band called Orphaned Land. The song's first minute was enough to make me go buy "El Norra Alila"...

A friend of mine had bought sahara and when i saw it i asked him what that is. he said it's an israeli band, and told me to listen to "the beloved's cry". i listened to it, but with a twist of fate i hadn't liked it that much(ah, poor young child). then, when i checked their other songs, i saw "find yourself, discover god"... i was quite shocked and excited to see such a phrase from an "israeli metal band", so i downloaded it, and well i had found my band (not myself, yet)

i guess i met o.l like my friend AdamCymru86 here ... i found my self in the middle of discussion bout oriental tunes ... and there i found o.l for the first time ..i think in 1998

Hejira_Omeed said:
I was on the century media website and i saw a news update about a metal band from israel on century media, so i was curious and checked out the mp3, and the next day i went and bought mabool, i have yet to be able to find any other cds by them, one of these day's i'll just have to order them from century media or the orphaned land website.
That's my story. I think you can get a couple OL CDs from The End's webstore. I'll be doing that shortly myself.

I know them from their very first release. Didn't like it because of the death metal parts. I'm into death metal, but I think their older parts are more cliche.

Accidentally I downloaded Ocean Land and I was sold immediately. I bought the CD and it's my number one for 2004.

AdamCymru86 said:
Im curious as to how people discovered Orphaned Land. Mine was a complete fluke, I was reading the Nile messageboard where Karl Sanders (Nile frontman, guitarist) also happens to post. Everyone was like ''Karl your bands amazing, I love how you mix Metal with Oriental sounds''. So he said check out Orphaned Land they do it properly. I went on Amazon and found Sahara for £6, absolute bargain, and as they say the rest is history.

A few years ago a good friend of mine read the same thing you named, checked a some songs out and told me he liked it. So I downloaded something myself and, after a little while was taken away by "El meod na'ala". We have even performed with it, our class at school had to do something for Teacher's day, so we thought of acting different classes, me and my friend were the Religion class, were we just sang "El meod na'ala" to the whole school. That was quite a fun although we both can't really sing. :D

I just discovered OL this year. I surf a number of metal message boards and on one of them (can't remember which one) I found this fellow metalhead screaming ORPHANED LAND in his post. I went to the Century Media website and downloaded Ocean Land. Yeah, okay, this kicks ass. I jumped to my P2P to see if I could snag any other songs. Miraculously, there were several available from Mabool. I ended up downloading about half the album over the course of two or three days and bought the cd soon after.

Mabool is not only in the running for best album of 2004 for me, but also for best album of all time. I'm pretty sure it'll land in my top-10 greatest albums ever.

so it's many years ago....but i'll never forget :headbang:

I had a very good friend during my study in BG who lived 2 years in Israel (didn't saw him since i finished my study and live in Germany ...so it's not less than 7 or 8 years i saw him for the last time:erk: ) . So he brought a CD with "Sahara" from Israel with...or became it from sombody there cause he still had connections to this time to Israelian friends of him (by the way he had a cd stereoplayer...it was something speciall to this time!:D ) . We were on one day, like many others in his home with my sister and one more friend of us and he told us at first about the music that OL make and then he turned it on ....i just know that the first few minutes i was like stoned...cause i never heard such a art of music till this moment...after then i was just amazed and in love with the art of OL.....:worship:

...so i becam a type copy from him, cause it was impossible to find OL in Bulgaria to this time...

(just by the way - than began my interest on Kabbala and Hebrew too)

Back in 1998, I bought a french magazine (Metallian) that came with a sampler CD, on which was a song by Orphaned Land (a mix of El Meod + Whisper my name). It was the first time I heard stg like that !!! Then I had a copy tape of El Norra Alila, I liked the whole album so I bought the CD. In 1999 I went to Tunisia as a trainee, and somebody stole all the CD I took there (of course El Norra was one of these :ill: ). So I had to buy it again :)

Hi, this is my first visit here!
Greetings from norway :Spin:
My story:
I first got into Orphaned Land when I was looking at the bandlist for ProgPower USA on the homesite for the festival for 4-5 weeks ago I think it was. It was before the Orphaned Land gig at rockefeller, that im sure of! I knew this guy who went therem oh my I am jealous on him! Im not old enough to attend most concerts!
Hope Orphaned land come by to Norway again after january 21. 2006!
A band I really dig, Circus Maximus (From Norway, check them out! www.circusmaximussite.com ) are goig to play there before Orphaned Land are to start, so when i saw that Orphaned Land was playing after Circus Maximus I was curious of what kind of music this was! I was like blown away from the first second!
I heard the song Ocean Land there, and you may say I got addicted to it quite at once! :headbang:
Orphaned Land did very fast enter my top 5 list :worship: !
I have downloaded Mabool, but im buying it as soon as I get my hands on some money! Im going to buy the Limited Edition :headbang:
BTW. Are the acoustic bonus cd worth the extra money it costs?

Head_Banger said:
BTW. Are the acoustic bonus cd worth the extra money it costs?

Yes it's worth the extra money it costs !!!! Great acoustic versions of songs from their first 2 albums.