How did you put up with strict christian parents?

More Murder said:
I am an atheist, but my parents are only Catholic to the point of being offended by "satan worship", anti christian things, and voting republican. Did anyone else have this problem? How do you live with this shit.

And by the way I am 18, but they are still over protective on some dumb shit...
if you're already 18, just stop living with them, problem solved

Tongue_Ring said:
if you're already 18, just stop living with them, problem solved
i was being serious
if you're already legally an adult but still under 30 and if it's your parents that report you missing, then the cops won't even bother looking for you unless they think you're dead
just walk outside and don't come back
it's do-able if you just use your imagination

A problem with a lot of the older parents (late 40s-60s) is quite simply, most don't "get it" when it comes to this style music. They know what they were preached in Church when they were young/developing spiritually and that is cemented into their brain. I switched churches because of the stonelike opinions on anything other than gospel music. I even took in liner notes from a Christian metal band, they'd have nothing of it.

My current church is awesome. I play in the contemporary band (we get to ROCK out often..) and even formed a side band with some of the dudes, where we rock out even more. There's quite a few metalheads in our church, it's come as you are (we've had everything from bikers to kids with mohawks sitting next to older parents/grannies!).

It really boils down to REALLY knowing what the Bible says, and reading it for yourself. Don't rely on what you're preached because quite frankly, nobody is perfect, and that includes preachers. When you're pointed at and made to feel like trash because of what you listen to etc. - you just pull out Matthew 7:1 and walk away! ("Do not judge, or you too will be judged")

I was raised Catholic, but my folks never raised much issue with what I listened to, although my mom does occaisonally say "What's that noise?", and when I was at their house for dinner right after Dimebag got killed, I was watching an MTV special on him, and she said, half-jokingly; "No wonder he got shot". Of course being 43 years old, it may well be that I came of age before the more extreme metal really started to kick in.

My parents don't seem to have a problem, but then I don't listen to my stuff around them unless it's something they'll like, like classic rock or something like that.

Ironically, my dad (who's a deacon) actually defended me when I got in trouble at school for talking about rock music.

i played slayer in the church parking lot one sunday morning... on accident of course but still.

Söy said:
i played slayer in the church parking lot one sunday morning... on accident of course but still.
That had to have been funny. Could everyone hear it being played? My Mom listened to Morbid Angel's Covenant album in the car with me on the way hom after I got it, she doesn't even like metal but doesn't care if I play it.:)