How did you find each other...

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Maybe I'm missing something. Ok perhaps talent and experience. But other than that, some note or something. Here I am a simple guitar player, nothing special. I'm no shredder, hell I haven't even practiced sweep picking skillz more than a few minutes. Mostly because I haven't gotten there yet. Will probably work on it this year now that I'm more comfortable with what I've been doing.

Anyhow, to the point of this post. How did you guys find each other? I can't find people who want to play music worth a damn. Sure I could probably go on some prog rock forums, or go play some blues jams or whatever. But finding people who want to play a Zappa-esque metal? HAH! Yeah right. So any advice on finding other people who ... want to be musicians in a band of musicians and not just some high school 'oh shit lez rock it out dudes!' band?

It sounds like you know what you want, so there are two choices: 1) start your own thing or 2) try to find something in line with what you want. As for us...

I had played in original and cover bands for years, though I had been out of it for a while. So I got back into it and played in 3 different cover bands (eventually got bored with it - though it did pay well). So then I started Odin's Court. At first we covered metal of all types to get going and slowly introduced originals. Some worked, some didn't. We eventually had a core of songs that would be recorded and made the transition to original band that sometimes does covers for fun.

As for the people, I pretty much laid out the "rules" of the band and explained the direction and my vision up front (with original and replacement members). Scott (original bassist) was always very supportive and on board. John came in replacing the short lived original drummer and was also into what we did, and that was our core for several years. Craig Moran came in on keys/backing vocals and was a great addition, though he eventually left for other responsibilities. Up until then, we were always local to each other - within 15 minutes in fact. It was lucky to find people who were into the same things as me.

When Craig M. left, I was contemplating getting another guitarist anyway, so I figured it was a good time to try 2 new people at once. I knew Savino from the Dream Theater message board, and Rick from OC playing gigs with his old band. Rick introduced me to Craig when Scott left for job reasons, and that is where we are now. Now instead of all of us being local, we're 2.5 hours apart and all scattered about. Though John lives within walking distance of me (2 blocks). LOL

But it is definitely hard to find people who share a vision, and we're very lucky to have each other in OC. It's not just about the music, but hanging out with people you relate to with common interests. We're friends as well as bandmates, which can be rare as anyone who has ever been in a band may know.

So if you want to do original stuff that is a very specialized and non-commercial genre, it may be best to start something on your own. Finding a band is often hard, though no matter what, you'll have to compromise at some point - it's just how much that dictates what you will/won't find. :)

I find this all very interesting. In the future, maybe six months or so, I will be facing the same decisions -- "find something" or "start something," and most likely it will be "start something" because I have serious doubts that the "something" I want exists in my part of the world...

...Yet! :headbang:

I'm SO late on answering this post with:

"One night, at an unnamed bath house........"
(better to get the serious replies out of the way first! :Spin:)
:Smokedev:

I'm SO late on answering this post with:

"One night, at an unnamed bath house........"
(better to get the serious replies out of the way first! :Spin:)
:Smokedev:
Yes, you are!

NO, NO!!! We aren't talking about how you met Greg (Rocker), this is about how the current OC lineup formed. Geeeezz... and I thought that you knew how to read. I guess its hard to see out of semen-glued eyelids. :heh:

being in high school, your post sounds like something ive said many times. anywhere near philly? worth a shot.

Not actually in high school. Actually I'm 28 and well out of college and 3 years out of grad school. It was more of a jibe against those who join a band to be in a band, rather than joining a band with the intention of actually creating good music.

I've had no luck since the original post. But I haven't been trying too hard to find people. Going to start surfing non metal sites to see what I can find.