How do good musicians find each other?

Originally posted by Pharoah
Guys, it all goes back to my original thread where I mentioned (in my opinion), that I think the commercial music market is bulls***, and I referred to prog as "good". I didn't feel a need to explain in detail my "opinion". I enjoy this Forum and would never want to offend anyone, I respect and value others' opinions. Harp Heaven has some interesting comments. I suppose I am a "Prog Elitist". I think many fans in the Forum are too!

I can only go on what I have experienced firsthand for many years about the business of music. Far too many talented and sincere musicians have become victims of manipulation by the system (the ones who control the money). It often becomes a fine line between self-preservation and self-sacrifice. The buying music listeners are in turn manipulated and quite often deceived by prefabricated products that are manufactured and churned out by the "machine", passed off as "good music". If it has a video, if it's nominated for a Grammy, if all the other kids in class like it, etc. etc. it MUST be good and certainly MUST be substantial. It is an illusion to me. It has been this way for a long time and will continue.
This is where my bull**** word fit in, because this is how I feel.

I am thankful to have found an alternative in this genre of music, because it seems to me that (for the most part) the creators of this music are honest, sincere, extremely talented, and choose a path to distribute it by means that do not alter their creative freedom, or build walls between themselves and those who respect them for it (and pay money to obtain it). That's my "good music" comment. There is a lot of good mainstream music, and there certainly is something for everyone's taste. Music is wonderful. I just can't appreciate the manipulation for mass profit and gain. Sure, contracts are signed and paths are pre-determined. But...true talent is often overshadowed and many are victimized in this business. Many are comfortable with it, too.

;) I only wanted to mention here my personal reasons for the comments. Actually, all I wanted to know was how good musicians find each other in a certain area! Yikes! :)

Harp Heaven, I saw Zappa perform in a gym where there were only 16 other people there! It was very interesting, as he dismissed the band after a 2 hour show and spent time writing some new songs. So, we watched him sit on his amp while he wrote 3 songs for his "Apostrophe" album. :) "Whaddaya think of this???", he would say. Thumbs up, thumbs down, etc....

WOW!! The part about Zappa is too cool. You were very lucky!!

Originally posted by Grom Hellscream
1. I haven't said that there is no absolute, I said that you can say nothing about its existance. It may exist, and it may not. You will never know about it.
2. If it exists :D , tell me about it, please

I wasn't even talking to you. Just quoted you. But what you have said makes no sense.

Musicians do find each other. I have been in some (quote from John Travolta in that one sci-fi movie) "crap-lousy" bands before... but recently, I found a prog-band from Ohio! My friggen backyard! These guys are like twice my age, but I'm having a blast. They are very talented, and we should be gigging soon. We do Queensryche / DT covers and MANY originals. How'd I find them? THE INTERNET. I just searched, got onto some progressive rock link sites. Basically, just do some research, and take an active role in searching for other musicians that like the same stuff you do. It may seem hard to find those 2 or 3 people who like prog, but just keep an open mind and do your homework.

Originally posted by Harp Heaven
To all the haters out there:

You hate Nirvana and practically everything else that's popular because you're jealous. You have zero musical success and you can't get over that fact. (Disclaimer: I have zero musical success but got over that when I was about 18)

You hate DJ's, rappers, and everything else involved in electronically created music because you are afraid to dance. You are the type that stands alone in the corner at a party wondering why everyone else doesn't listen to Dream Theater or Symphony X or Spock's Beard. You can't accept that for 99% of the population, music is about having a good time. Once again, get over yourself.

I think he has a point.

I think he does as well. I agree a lot with what he is getting at. Even though I hate nirvana, he does have a point.