How did you come across Anthrax?

MetalThrashingMad888

New Metal Member
Mar 10, 2002
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hey everyone. This is my first time posting, but I'm not new to anthrax. I've been a fan since I was about 11 or 12. Long time, I can't remember now. But anyway, I just thought i'd ask how everyone became a fan? How did you discover Anthrax? Myself. I think the first time I had seen or heard of them was the episode of Married With Children. That was great, does anyone else remember that? "wow, they ate the mystery pack, not even dad will eat the mystery pack". At that point I was just really getting into thrash metal and I went out and got the first Anthrax thing I found. It was a used cassette tape copy of State Of Euphoria. After that Anthrax became one of my favorite bands of all time, and I bought everything I could. I think I've amassed a pretty decent collection. But that was it, tell me and everyone else how you guys got into one of the greatest metal bands of all time

I first got into Anthrax when Fistful Of Metal came out in 1984. I have been a fan ever since through the Turbin, Belladonna and Bush years. The band has definitely gone through its changes, but survived nevertheless - unlike many other bands who don't survive changes very well. I look forward to the new album due out in the summer and love everything through Volume 8: The threat Is Real. Bush Kicks Ass!:Shedevil:

i was watching TV real late one night a few years ago and souther maryland metal came on the local chanel and the video for inside out came on...i was hooked...that is to this day my favorite song!:headbang:

I first heard them on a tape my sister had. It was a dubbed version of "I'm The Man" single and had other stuff on it.
I saw them before though, on the Married With Children episode, well, I didn't watch the episode, it was the first night that episode aired and I was like maybe 8 or 9 years old and had no taste in music. So I didn't watch the show.
After listening to I'm the Man, I was hooked.

I live and grew up in a BFE part of KY & when I was a youngster we didn't have cable(wasn't even an option), all the radio stations were either country or bluegrass plus 1 pop station, and the closest record store was over an hours drive away. To say the very least I was extremely shelterd from metal. All I heard about it was that it was Satanic and all they sang about was killing your parents and blah blah blah. All that did was just build up my intrest in it but never really got the chance to hear it. One day on the bus when I was about in 6th grade some high-schooler droped a tape on the floor and I swiped it. It was a compilation CD called "Thrash Metal" I think and some of the bands on it were Helloween, Slayer, Death Angel, Motorhead, Judas Priest, and Madhouse by Thrax. That song was my favorite on the tape so I decided that they would be my fav band. 15 or so years later they still are.

*as i put on my rose tinted specs*
The first time I heard Anthrax was when my cousin had taped me AC/DC at donington and Among the living was on the reverse. I liked it but didn't love it. About a year later I went to Woolworths the day Sound of White Noise came out (back when Anthrax could be bought over the counter) and I was hooked.To this day Potters Field reminds me of a summer when my friend and I lost our GNR T's and got Bring the noise hoodies...I managed to see the SOWN tour in Glasgow and to this day (after seeing Slayer,Maiden,Megadeth,Pantera etc) it remains my favorite concert.

1984. Between me and my friends, we would pool what little extra cash we had to go in on a brand new metal album - things are tough $wise in junior high - lol. Been a fan ever since :D

Loved the song Caught In A Mosh - video ruled for it! It was the inpiration for my forming an indie record label down here in Texas - Caughtinamosh Records (www.caughtinamosh.com) last year to give a little back to something I've gotten so much from.

I must say Bush brought a needed dimension to the band, but I was very partial to Armoured Saint beforehand, so my opinion is biased!

Metal luv,

Jimmy Hollon
President
Caughtinamosh Records

LOL we did that too.

Each of us was "assigned" to a band, and we were responsible for owning every CD by that band. So then when we were all together, we had a shitload of stuff to listen to, but none of us were out a serious amount of cash. No, I wasn't assigned to Anthrax, I had Megadeth. But the guy who had Anthrax was the most popular, and the most missed when he didn't show up. :headbang:

The only problem with this is if/when you move away from these people (like I did), you have to go spend a fortune of your own and you'll still probably never had that good of a selection cause the shit ends up being hard to find, when it would have been easy years ago. But when you're broke in junior high/high school, it's very effective.

Aaaahhh the old school. :Smokedev: Sure my click, or gaggle if you will, and I weren't gonna win any school popularity contests (ironic I wound up a teacher) we were too busy catching a buzz, playing nintendo and listening to METAL. Back in the day of State of Euphoria, POT, Peace Sells, Souls of Black, Seasons in the Abyss, Master of Puppets, Painkiller, Cowboys From Hell, Lights Cameras Revolution, PEOPLE BOUGHT METAL RECORDS...... In fact all the way up until 1993 you could hear ANTHRAX, testamet, ST, et al on radio. "Only" and "Black Lodge" got mucho play in bland ass Columbus, Ohio. My how the times have changed. I still see one or two high school kids or jr. high kids with a Slipknot shirt or a Godsmack shirt, and that makes me smile. Now if I could just those little shits to quit smoking in the rest rooms :confused:

In my school (on Long Island), the teachers gave up on trying to get kids to stop smoking in the bathrooms, so they spread the word that they wouldn't bust anybody for using the bathrooms near the cafeteria as long as they kept the other ones smoke free. Even the teachers would go in there to smoke!! I don't know if it's still like that, but I don't imagine it's all that different. Small towns rarely change.

Your crew sounds so much like mine, it's scary. None of us became a teacher though. Although rumor has it one of them (the one who had Metallica, BTW) is working for Sesame Street making Elmo videos. Haven't seen his name on any credits though. :lol: And NONE of us were popular, unless it was time for the preps to spread another lesbian rumor (my name came up a lot, still can't figure that one out HAHAHAHAHAHAHA). And since men are pigs, every time they heard one of us was a lesbian, we got all the attention we could handle. ESPECIALLY if two of us were walking down the hall together. The male crew members found this far too amusing, and we all began to wonder if THEY weren't the ones who started it. Which I'm sure they did, now that I think about it. :mad:

I first heard Speak English or Die (by SOD which turned into Anthrax and MOD). I don't I had a clue about who they were at the time. Later I started listening to Metallica (Master) and then got into Anthrax (why pick an album, they're all damn classics). Then I put the two together.

I saw the videos for Got the time and Bring the noise on tv. Then I got hooked when I saw Only on MTV in 93.