How long have you been listening to Anthrax ?

ThraxSA

Apr 10, 2005
I was thinking the other day about how long I have listened to Anthrax - I have worked out 23 years.

That is the longest time I have been constantly listening to any band !!!!

I remember first hearing "I'm the man" - not really what some would call a heavy metal song, but just the crunching of Scott's guitar that sounded unreal.

I borrowed a copy of NFV from a friend and the rest is history.... :headbang:

I also recall having cassette's of fistful, STD, ATL, I'm the man, POT and then "upgrading" them to this wonderful new technology called cd's ... shit, I am getting old : )

Anyway, to keep a long story short, that is some of my Anthrax - related moments. Who else has some cool stories etc about their first discovery of Anthrax ?? ( the band obviously, I just read that last paragraph and to the outsider I sound like some bio-mechanical terrorist ).

1985 - :headbang: - Became a fan when I heard "Madhouse" for the first time!

1992 - :kickass: - Became a mega-fan when John was assigned the duty of Front man.

2003 - :kickass: -Became an Ultra-mega-fan with the release of WCFYA!

2004 - :) - Became the" Pleasantly surprised" fan when I started to see the Video for Deathrider getting regular play here in Canada.

2005 - :bah: - Became the disgruntled fan when Anthrax formed the reunion and John left the band.

2007 - :lol: - Became the "Laughing at other peoples misery" fan when Joey quit the band.

2007 - :erk: - Became the uncertain fan when Dan Nelson joined the band.

2009 - :lol: - Became the "laughing at other peoples misery" fan once again when Dan Nelson was turfed

2009 - :erk: - Became the uncertain fan once again when John Bush was given back the Mic.

2010 - :Smug: - Became the "Maintaining position on the fence" fan.

mate at highschool lent me state of europhoria,prob 89 - 90 ish,listened to that tape nearly no nstop for 2 years haha,then went to pot then among,pretty much realised these guyss were grae t and got there whole collection.

1985 - :headbang: - Became a fan when I heard "Madhouse" for the first time!

1992 - :kickass: - Became a mega-fan when John was assigned the duty of Front man.

2003 - :kickass: -Became an Ultra-mega-fan with the release of WCFYA!

GOLD !!!!

It started 1995 when I was watching "Bring The Noise" on Headbanger's Ball (?) in 1995. Was that crazy stuff!? With 14 years I was amazed, it was the coolest stuff ever.

Did not hear about the band for years after. Was a "normal" fan until I bought the compilations Attack of the Killer A's + B's.

Became huge fan through WCFYA.

I still am.

Right before my sophomore year of high school. A little background: I started to get really depressed in middle school. It was bad. My freshman year of HS I was homebound because of it. Then my mom got put into a hospice because of her lupus, so I moved in with my aunt. I found a copy of SOWN that I had laying around (but never listened to) and put it on one day out of boredom and was blown away! I could relate so much to what John was saying on that record. Needless to say I eventually got all the 'Thrax cd's and am a huge Bush supporter (John, not George.)

Probably around 87 or 88 and like you ThraxSA I got given the I'm The Man EP on tape from a mate at High School. He then gave me State of Euphoria. Was hooked after that.

...since Fisfful of Metal was released...Yeah, I'm that OOOOOOOLLD - like Machine Head says...:)

T:)

I got into the Thrax 17 years ago. Heard bits and bobs of early stuff and liked it, then i eventually heard SOWN and loved it. That album is still my favourite album of any genre of all time. OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Somewhere in '88 I think. First heard Make Me Laugh which I thought back then was 'just okay' and then I heard Caught In A Mosh live. I haven't been the same since....

Got into Anthrax around 1998, around the build up to the release of Volume 8. Then I went and bought the other John era albums out at the time - SOWN and Stomp 442 not long after as well. Wasn't really a fan of the Joey stuff because of his higher pitched vocal style. I preferred John's tougher vocals.

Nevertheless, I was really enthused to hear that they would be re-recording the classic earlier songs with John on vocals, and this is where I started to discover the earlier material as well. Which lead me to a huge appreciation of the stuff they did in the 80's, but I just didn't like Joey's singing.

Went and saw the reunion tour with Joey, more to hear the band tear through the music on the old tracks, than the vocals.

I was really disappointed to hear John wasn't coming back, as WCFYA in my opinion is their best album to date. I was kinda looking forward to Worship Music, but not nearly as much as a John reunion.

I just hope John sticks around long enough to put out another album.
But if he doesn't, I have no gripes, as I still think they fucked John over during the reunion shows anyway.

And that leads us up until now...

Would've loved to have gone to Soundwave festival in Sydney today, but money is very tight for at the moment.

87, after seeing Indians on Headbangers Ball--had the chorus stuck in my head the rest of the night and next day ran out and bought ATL and STD