How different you treat bottom and top snare?

honestly, now that i've used a bottom mic for a few sessions, i don't know if i'll continue to use one. so far it hasn't contributed to the snare sound i usually go for. though i've only experimented with a 57 and oktava mk-012 thus far. processing usually just consists of light compression (ssl channel).

I process the bottom snr mic completely different than the top. Basically the bottom just has a bit of compression(based on how long you want the sizzle to last). There isn't much body in the bottom snare mic compared to the top, and i usually have it a few db(or more) lower in the mix, depending on how you want your "sizzle to body" ratio. I also do a small amount of eq, mainly to the high end, but it's nothing major and it can vary quite a bit from snare to snare. Just make sure your bottom mic is in phase with the top mic. Easiest way to tell is to just zoom in really close to the wave, and see if the waves in the two mics are going up and down together. If one is going up while the other is going down, then they are out of phase, and you'll either need to scoot the bottom mic wave to the left/right, or (most likely) just need to "invert" the entire wave.

This is how i process when i'm making snare samples though, so i can do as much processing as i want without worrying about cymbal bleed.

I'm not sure about you guys, but the bottom mic does't seem all that important in the overall sound to me. The room and overheads seem to have the biggest impact.
YES!!!
I was making my own snare samples and the Overhead and Room are extremely important, I barely had much bottom mic in my samples, The room and overheads did the job with less problems.

I am not a genius at making samples just my to sense, just had to point out how important the overhead/room mics are.

Another question i have in mind.

When doing samples for snare or either Toms, what are your usual set ups?

Top Mic, Bottom mic, room mic ( if you do, where do you usually place that room mic)

thanks

I'm not sure about you guys, but the bottom mic does't seem all that important in the overall sound to me. The room and overheads seem to have the biggest impact.

+1

It is a nice "have" but not a must. IMO room mic (better stereo room mics) are way more important for the snare sound then a bottom mic along with OH mics.

Bottom mic always tend to sound poor if you are after the fat-punchy snare sound.

I tend to smash the bottom one with a compressor and then raise the fader up until I like the way it sounds with the top mic aswell, more often than not though the bottom miced snare for me should only be noticeable once I've muted i.e. I dont want to hear snare rattle all the damn time