Snare bottom microphone

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
I'm pretty happy with how I capture the top of the snare and can get some really nice sounds. I tend to dislike the snare bottom though, it always sounds way too raspy and not full bodied enough. What techniques do you guys use for this? Any particular placement for the microphone? I am assuming the more you move it away from the strainer, the less raspy it is going to get... I need to try it, but wanted to kick around some ideas....

Another thing to keep in mind is that although mic selection and placement options can certainly help, it's also worthwhile to consider what you really need to get from the bottom mic. I typically rely on my top mic for most of the body and attack of the drum, and rely on the bottom mic to add the sound of the snare wires. The room and overhead mics are also very important for snare body/fullness. My bottom mic recordings aren't usually that impressive on their own, but I'm pretty happy with how they compliment the top mic, so I've never really bothered too much with getting them to sound better on their own. I've actually been predominately using samples lately, but there again the bottom mic samples don't usually sound all that impressive in and of themselves. When combined with the top, room, and OH samples, though, they add a unique element of that snare wire sound that only the bottom mic can provide.

If you want more body try micing the side of the snare rather than the bottom. Obviously watch your phase.

yeah this, i will go for the side sometimes, but most of the time, i just shelf the tops out of it when i mic the bottom skin if i don't want loads of *crack* and more often than not i get loads of lows in that mic and i'm usually right on the snare wires, as egan said watch your phase, my favorite two mics for bottom snare are sennheiser 441 or a 414 both totally awesome,

The simple solution: install some better snare wires. It makes a huge difference. I keep a couple sets of wires at the studio that we can put onto the drum just in case - if the snares sound good you can use any mic and it'll come across sounding good.

I recently found solution that works best for me...
I tried using Sennheiser e504 (old e604) very close to the bottom head (approx. 1 cm) pointing almost 90 degrees towards head and approx 2-3 cm from the rim. I put it on the point furthest from the snare wires which is also furthest from the kick drum. It sounds very crispy without too much wires. You can easily compensate high end you take away from top mic to minimize Hi-Hat bleed and it gates very well. I can even use it to sidechain gate on top mic :)

The simple solution: install some better snare wires. It makes a huge difference. I keep a couple sets of wires at the studio that we can put onto the drum just in case - if the snares sound good you can use any mic and it'll come across sounding good.

What are you liking wire wise these days? I usually use the Puresound blasters, but I've been wanting to try some stuff. Recently got a Spaun 14x8 custom maple snare, and I want to find some snares that are just right for a drum that effin deep.

OP, I usually use a 57, and only have the snare bottom mic turned up just enough to get some sizzle, and many times I don't use it at all. I need to experiment with side snare micing, and the sm7 sounds like a grand idea as well

I never liked the bottom mic on the snare. Even though i can be fairly pleased with how it sounds while tracking it always get muted in the mix haha. It just adds some top end which i don't want in the mix.

Love an i5, pointed toward the center, mirroring the top mic or vertical, 2"- 4" away. 609 works in a pinch, but bleed kinda sucks. My room definitely makes it a challenge.

I tend to use the bottom mic for more snap and well "snare" sounds. Pointless trying to make it something it's not.

What are you liking wire wise these days? I usually use the Puresound blasters, but I've been wanting to try some stuff. Recently got a Spaun 14x8 custom maple snare, and I want to find some snares that are just right for a drum that effin deep.

OP, I usually use a 57, and only have the snare bottom mic turned up just enough to get some sizzle, and many times I don't use it at all. I need to experiment with side snare micing, and the sm7 sounds like a grand idea as well

I use 42-strand Tama Snappy Snares on both of my studio snares. I did have some Puresound wires but they were a little too soft/mellow for me. I like the bright "piff" that the Tamas give me.

I use 42-strand Tama Snappy Snares on both of my studio snares. I did have some Puresound wires but they were a little too soft/mellow for me. I like the bright "piff" that the Tamas give me.

42 strand? Damn! I'll have to try those….