How do backup entire computer xp..

Force666

Sep 12, 2007
Hey guys, just wondering how I can back up my entire system in case of disaster or whatever other reason.

My music rig has 2 HD with one having 2 partitions as follow

HD 1 40 gig

C: system drive

HD 2 320 gig

E: 40 gig current project partition
G: 260gig storage

So I guess what I would need to do is just do a data backup of the G and E drive, and a clone of the c drive for the windows, settings, programs etc.
Is this correct?

Is there any freeware programs that can create an iso of the c: drive with the MBR and such that you guys use with success? I have a 500 gig external drive that I wanted to back everything up on, it's USB or Firewire.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks..JOHN

There is a hardware solution that is also what I recommend for permanent use. RAID1 (mirroring) uses two identical hard drives and you see one of them as a normal drive, but the second drive will feature identical data at any given moment. When either of the two drives has a hardware failure, the second drive will still have all the data ready for immediate use. When you get a hardware failure, just add in a new identical drive and it once again will use the same RAID1 setup.

This is practically infallible for data safety, as long as you replace a broken drive. The only weakness is human error, or a virus.

In your current situation, it won't work since both drives will have to be formatted during the RAID setup, but I highly recommend this system especially for studio recording computers (how many times have you lost data during a session to a hard drive failure? Well, it's no longer possible :) ). What I would do, is to get two new drives, setup them to RAID1, and copy all the important files to the RAID setup from your current drive (install the OS and everything to the RAID setup).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

The issue with RAID1 is that both drives are connected to the PSU at any one time. I had a friend of mine have his entire system fried by a power grid spike (possibly due to lightning). Making an image of your OS drive with True Image and storing it on the external drive is probably the best way to go. Then manually back up your current sessions and storage as you go on the external drive.

RAID1 is a good way to be extra safe, but it won't protect you from something that will fry your entire rig. This is why my external backup drives are always unplugged.

The issue with RAID1 is that both drives are connected to the PSU at any one time. I had a friend of mine have his entire system fried by a power grid spike (possibly due to lightning).

£40 invested in decent surge-protection and that would never have happened.

n68cl.jpg

+1 to surge protection ;) And while at it, get an UPS (Uninterruptible power supply), and you usually get around 10 minutes of extra time to save a project after a power outage (another common cause for loss of data).

And one more step towards a proper computer setup is a high-quality power supply! Don't get a 50 EUR cheapo Ping-Pong PSU, if you want a stable system and no hardware damage in case a PSU fails for any reason (liquid spills, curious fly, etc).

only ONE thing 100% sure : manual copies of FULL hdd on another HDD of another brand (so that there is no error possible) and storage UNPLUGGED and for paranoïacs, in another place :)

only ONE thing 100% sure : manual copies of FULL hdd on another HDD of another brand (so that there is no error possible) and storage UNPLUGGED and for paranoïacs, in another place :)

Hey dude, that's definitly a consideration for me. Our studio (reahearsal and recording) is in a commercial building shared with about 150 other rehearsal studios in the ghetto. There have been a couple break-ins, including an attempted break-in while I sat there astonished that it was happening. So it's definitly a precaution to have the backup stored at home.

Obviously I understand backing up the data of the 2 storage drives as that's just a copy to function. It's the cloned backup of the C:drive with all the programs, settings, etc. that i'm not quite sure how to do. From the reading i've done it's all about copying the Master Boot Record (although I don't really have an idea what exactly that is). Clonezilla and Macrium Reflect are 2 freeware apps that i've found.

What i'm really having trouble understanding is if I can backup my storage AND the cloned c:drive onto one external harddrive.