How do get good tone for rythm?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
Hi, I can haz Joey Sturgis drumsamples? K,thx!

I kid, I kid..

First time poster here..
I've spent a couple of weeks plowing through this forum like it was Charlize Theron.. read hundreds of threads..

I've (AFAIK) never heard a Sturgis production..
It's hilarious though, all the threads and replies about it.. :heh:

I've learned a lot of good stuff.. thanks guys and girls!

Anywho.. long first post!
I'm slowly moving towards the sound I want to achieve, the one I hear in my head.. unfortunatly I don't have great gear (I'll list it), but I think I can achieve a better sound than I have so far..

A ritual sacrifice to please the forum I can post some IR's I've made (not that hot) and maybe a Battery kit I've made of a drumkit.. sampled it myself (shitty as fuck).. (if it is of interest) But for now, for you sweaty hands out there, in Sweden we have something called "Absolut Torr" (Absolute Dry) that makes you stopping sweating in the place you apply it to.. maybe you have something like it in your country..
http://ronjastrid.se/images/2009/absolut-torr_61647593.jpg
(Girl not included)
Maybe it can keep your strings fresh a bit longer..

I want to achieve a more "grainy" distortion.. here's an example:

But I always get "Creamy" distortion..
They use expensive stuff and I can't really spend a lot of money.. ehh.. budget = 0 coins..

Then I found this video:

And I think that is a big step in the right direction.. contacted the poster in december, but he's not answering.. But I bought the Bluecab 60.1 (an uppgraded version of what he uses) and it's closer..
I'm thinking of getting the same distortion pedal he has.. a behringer one.. supposedly based on the Boss HM-2..
I'm talking rythm only.. I've never really been unhappy with my leads..

Gear
Dearmond (cheap guitar)
Schecter Demon 6 (no FR)
Squire Stratocaster VII (7string)
Harley Benton Bass for metal (somewhat shitty, but iv'e heard a lot worse)
Damage Control Solid Metal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Wah
Palmer reampbox
Warwick BlueCab 60.1 (bass cab)
Behringer DI, (Xenyx) mixer and tubepre..
Some mics (non expensive)
M-Audio 1010LT
AKG-271 Studio (HP's)
ESI nEar 05 (Monitors)

I've had the chance to work with very expensive stuff and gotten some good advice.. but still haven't reached that sound..
I know bass has a lot to do with the sound but in the example I posted of Suburban Tribe, on that cd they have the guitars alone in some places and the distortion remains..

TL;DR: Need better guitar tone (not the best player but I feel I'm good enough to express myself) and I have no problem quadtracking, hopefully you guys can guide me towards the tone.. recording in higher samplerate for the gits (learned it from here) is something that improved my sound as well..

Thanks for the read!

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a sound clip and post it in the Rate my Tone thread.
Guys cant even start to give you advice with no reference point.

I doubt anyone is gonna reply to your thread. Have you worked with real amps before? If thats not an option, download some amp sims like LE456, Lecto, TSE X30, Nick Crow 8505/7170 and any other ones you cant think of. Just mess around with different amps, IR's, boosts (TSS overdrive, Solo_C Preamp etc.) and eventually you will find what you want. It will not be like a real amp, but its a great start. Best of luck to you!

Make a sound clip and post it in the Rate my Tone thread.
Guys cant even start to give you advice with no reference point.

I guess I can post a DI to see if someone can get a better sound out of it..
I just get "creamy" tones..
But I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

I doubt anyone is gonna reply to your thread. Have you worked with real amps before? If thats not an option, download some amp sims like LE456, Lecto, TSE X30, Nick Crow 8505/7170 and any other ones you cant think of. Just mess around with different amps, IR's, boosts (TSS overdrive, Solo_C Preamp etc.) and eventually you will find what you want. It will not be like a real amp, but its a great start. Best of luck to you!

Doubt anyone is gonna reply? You just did AND you gave good advice.. :D
I've worked with real amps (hence the "IR's I've made"), real good ones too..
I have all those ampsims and some bought ones..

Don't want to start a shitstorm but I've just ended a 1,5 year university education.. with Jens Bogren as a teacher..
Not sure if he lurks here, but I know others from my class does..
He tried to steer me in the right direction.. and it has helped..
I've been thinking of getting Revalver.. Tried the demo (a few years ago) but didn't achieve what I wanted..
Can't really afford it right now, though..

Revalver demo is good enough, you can just apply the track fx's and crossfade where the "demo hiss" or white noise appears. I've only achieved acceptable tones taking away shit from the spectrum, not even a single time boosting. My 2C

Revalver demo is good enough, you can just apply the track fx's and crossfade where the "demo hiss" or white noise appears. I've only achieved acceptable tones taking away shit from the spectrum, not even a single time boosting. My 2C

Yeah, I usually cut too..
I'll check out the revalver demo..
If anyone knows/comes up with a "gritty" distortion like in the clip or songs I mentioned (posted clips in the link below), don't hesitate to post a screenshot/preset :D
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/664703-rythm-tone-cant-nail.html

I'm not so sure about this, but the first video sounds like a typical 5150 tone. Can't say which cab, but it def sounds like V30s. Either the Sneap miking position or the Fredman.