How do I get The best perormance?

Joel4662

Jul 23, 2010
I see this a lot: "Part of what makes a producer great is getting the best performances out of his/her client" and "90% of tone is in the players' hands"

My question, since I've been working with actual clients lately instead of just myself/friends, is just basic guidelines on how to do this?

Like I know drums really well so I know a lot of that (and most other instruments) is using a comfortable monitoring system, providing a comfortable place to perform, and keeping the confidence level up... Other than that, idk!! My biggest problem is usually getting the best singing (not screaming so much) the person always just seems so uncomfortable and doesn't sing out.

But I'll stop ranting and I'm basically asking for good advice you give on any instrument you may just find really helpful.

Thanks ~Joel

It's something that takes a long time to learn, and alot of it is about figuring out how to deal with different personalities.

Some guys respond well to encouragement, some need you to take the piss out of them a bit to get a "I'll fucking show him" reaction. The main thing is to make them comfortable. For singers getting the rest of the band out of the room can really help. Or using a dynamic mic and cranking the studio monitors instead of having them use headphones. This only works if the singer is nice and loud though.

Trev is right.
It's all about being able to analyze Musician types and work with individual needs.

Definitely learn to to adapt quickly.
Also, if you can, take some voice lessons. I took lessons for about 6 years and it definitely helped me with tips to give singers.

Also, many of my singing vocal takes go somethig like this:
Singer: "how was that?"
Me: "the notes were right, but I still don't believe you yet."

That line seems to work for me when I'm trying to get my singers to give me a quality performance. They tend to understand what I'm asking of them.
In the same way, learn how to communicate with your performer so that you are both on the same page.

Great advice guys thanks. I could definitely benifit from some vocal lessons, and I do usually stop when "the notes are right... But..." ya know
Anyways thanks

My way of achieving good takes is, "yeah man that was great, but you can do it better"
Over and over, and over and over.
And if the singer/screamer isn't projecting enough or has poor technique I will tell them that if they do not project more it won't sound good and big.
Then I show them an example of my own screaming.
They then listen and try harder to push their voice and they usually end up leaving being a better screamer than when they came in.
Clean vocals, haven't recorded many, one guy was in a band I was doing a free demo for as they wanted to do an E.P with me.
He was terrible, his voice was terrible, pitching was terrible, nothing could save him, literally nothing.
I just said cool man and let his takes slide, it was a half day session and I really didn't give a fuck, as any takes I would have TRIED to get from him would have been a waste of time and unusable for the finished product, the female singer of this band on the other hand was really good.
Great pitching.
Great tone.
Great voice.
But she didn't project enough, so it didn't sound forceful.
I told her she didn't and to try to project more/singing louder.
She tried, she somewhat succeeded.

I think having an example of what is good and what is bad(their take) is something that can be of great use.
It shows them that it CAN be done and it CAN be done THIS WAY, and YOU KNOW THE WAY.
So you just guide them and help them achieve something they thought they couldn't.