How get your bass to sound like a fucking sledgehammer?

I know this isn't the sturgis way, but Mel Gibson will help you in your quest. Splitting your bass track into two and adding lots of grit on the highs will make sure it stands out in the mix and has that nice "metallic" sound. Hope it helps bud!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya thanks steve, I've already seen that, but all I do that I get this annoying fiss that clouds the whole bloody mix, like this stuppid haze lol, I end up resorting to cuting out everything that is about 400hz lol

Heya thanks steve, I've already seen that, but all I do that I get this annoying fiss that clouds the whole bloody mix, like this stuppid haze lol, I end up resorting to cuting out everything that is about 400hz lol

Fizz? Do you have distortion on the bass?
What kinda chain are you using?

please stop saying lol...

EDIT: ...and well, I use Pod farm's Rock classic amp. Make sure you have new strings on your bass,
turn the high mids on the amp up! and you got your metallic sound. Limit that, and use a multi band comp
to control the lows

UAD Nigel.

this, I have not had something other than Nigel/preflex on my bass in over 2 years now and I dont plan on changing.

Just look on Ebay for a UAD 1 card, I got mine for less than $150 USD
plus I use the card for far more than just bass.
I use the fuck out of the Pultec eq on there and the 1176 and LA2A are amazing to have and they all act differently than the Wave's versions, its nice to have a little variety.

sans amp + light comp + -2.0db~ notch around 300-400hz + hard limit = bigbassballz! toneeee
or/
try a sidechain comp with guitars/kick whatever you feel drives the bassssssssss in the mix

usually gets me feelin good

Fuck your right. Silly me, please don't think worse of me :S, but I've got a much better bass tone/mix, I'll upload it when I go home... lol :fu:

Haha I've got the exact same speakers lol, Didn't realise I couldn't hear below 65hz lol. But tbh surely most people's stereo's or headphones can't either?

And shouldn't you cut out those frequencies anyway as they're gonna mess with your kick?

I just wanted to say that my sennheiser in ears go down to 20hz. Or that's what they say. And I have no complaints so far.

Have you tried the TSE B.O.D.? That one sounds good to me.

I don't use ozone...
but I know what you mean.
Without maximizing that hard I don't get my sound that heavy...
I guess I have to quiet the kick down a bit.

Yeh man the kicks so loud it makes the guitars sound really quiet, but it's pretty damn cool anyway (Y)

As anyone will tell you, it's all in the source. Then comes the tracking. New strings are a must. Track a DI, track the line out and pre-amp outs, mic the bass cabinet with your D6 or Beta 52 and have at it.

If you can't make a snarling mad bass tone out of those, then there's just something wrong with you.