How do I split the signal in Reaper from my Radial ProDI and my mic signal?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ok, so I just picked up a Radial ProDI box and now I'm trying to figure out in the Reaper software how to separate the signals. I have my guitar plugged in directly to the DI box and then split signal to my Presonus Audiobox and the other to my guitar amp. I have an i5 on the guitar amp and plugged in directly to my audiobox so I can record and monitor real time what I'm playing. The DI track I want recorded separately so I can go back and reamp later.

Whenever I try and split the signal on the selected track to left or right, it is still picking up part of the other track. Does anyone know how to do this in reaper?

Sorry if this question has already been posted in another thread, I couldn't find it. But if you know of one would you mind pointing me to it?

Thanks, in advance, if you can help! :)

Edit: Here's a windows paint 5 yr old drawing of my setup. :lol:
schem.JPG

It should be as simple as creating 2 tracks in Reaper, assigning one of them to record from the input that the mic is plugged into and assigning the other one to record from the input that the DI is plugged into. Set one track to record input 1 and one track to record input 2, done deal!

This part I don't understand:

Whenever I try and split the signal on the selected track to left or right, it is still picking up part of the other track. Does anyone know how to do this in reaper?

What do you mean split the signal on the selected track to left or right?

It should be as simple as creating 2 tracks in Reaper, assigning one of them to record from the input that the mic is plugged into and assigning the other one to record from the input that the DI is plugged into. Set one track to record input 1 and one track to record input 2, done deal!

This part I don't understand:

What do you mean split the signal on the selected track to left or right?

Thanks Adam. I've tried doing that (but I will try again), and when I did a playback of track 1, I could hear part of track 2 (my DI) and vice versa. Am I correct when I click the monitor track icon and then select Mono (Left) for track 1, and Mono (Right) for track 2? I'm sure this is really dumb and some retarded mistake I'm making that will make me facepalm. lol.

Not sure why you'd want to monitor the DI, especially while tracking it, but if so I would just set Monitoring to Auto. Either way, something doesn't sound right. It sounds like you're trying to put both the DI and amp together on one stereo track or something. Make sure they are on separate Mono tracks, and that each Recording input is assigned accordingly.

I agree, something is off somewhere. When I get home this evening I will take some screenshots to show you my settings and see if that might bring some resolve. I did set both separate tracks and inputs to mono accordingly. Like I said, it's probably something small easily corrected, but just thought I'd ask. I will post again later with what I find. It sounds like I was doing it right, so I will keep trying to find what the issue is. Thanks.

Not sure why you'd want to monitor the DI, especially while tracking it, but if so I would just set Monitoring to Auto.

I'm not trying to monitor the DI. That's why I have my cab mic'd and the mic running into my interface. I want to pretend that the DI isn't even there and just being recorded in the background on a separate track just-in-case I change my mind and want to reamp for a better/different tone later on. So the mic'd cab and the DI are being recorded both at once. But for some reason, on playback, mono track 1 Left (the mic'd amp) is picking up part of mono track 2 Right (the DI).

Am I correct when I click the monitor track icon and then select Mono (Left) for track 1, and Mono (Right) for track 2?

This sounded to me like you had Record Monitoring enabled for the DI. If so, and you don't want to hear the DI, you need to disable monitoring for that track. As long as you have it's input set correctly and the track is armed, that's all you need. Turn Monitoring off for the DI, Monitor "Auto" for the amp track. Also, not sure about that whole (Left) and (Right) bit. Do you have inputs that don't include a panned option?

I ran into something similar a long time ago, I think. I was tracking guitars for a band, using an amp and a DI, and I was getting DI bleed on the amp track at first. I know it turned out to be something silly that I overlooked, but it's been so long I'm having a lot of trouble remembering how I fixed it and/or what it was specifically. If it comes to me though, I will let you know.

Turns out there was some bleed into my DI track (which I wasn't monitoring real-time until afterwards to see if it recorded properly). It was a simple mix issue though that was blending left and right into one stereo channel, which I thought I had fixed. But as I figured, it was a dumb mistake on my end though and just a small setting overlooked. Thanks for your responses.