how do I teach myself how to play guitar

Dark_Mage

New Metal Member
Aug 21, 2005
I've been taking lessons for months now and they are'nt getting me anywhere. I just found out that micheal romeo taught himself how to play and I wanna try teaching myself.

what books are you supposed to read and what videos are you supposed to watch to learn all of your scales,arpeggios,chords etc...

any help would be great. I'd especially like for some self-taught guys from this forum to tell me about their experiences.

I'd recommend you stick with formal lessons. If you're current teacher isn't up to parr then find another one. The best teachers I had when I first began all taught me how to play my favorite songs (Rush, Yes, Genesis) and used those songs to also teach sight reading and theory.

Try to find a teacher who uses that approach.

I agree, you have to find a teacher, who teaches you everything you need in a context that you like, for example your favorite songs, bands and guitarists

It also took Romeo years. You have to have patience and keep working at it. Chances are your teacher knows something about theory that can help you no matter what style of music you want to play. You could also talk to him, or ask here, about your practice regiment, maybe you focus on what you are good at and not what you can improve on (although it's always nice to keep running through those things that you do do well to make them even better too). If he really isn't a good teacher you really should try to find a good one, because it makes things a lot easier then learning by yourself. Sometimes a teacher is good for nothing more than just pushing you that next step, or helping you through some difficult technique or lick, but it's almost always better than a book.

I am getting a guitar very soon, and well the only instrument I ever played before was the Clarinet lol, now I get myself a Strat... I'll probably have the same problem as you dude, accept I'm going to try and staya way from getting a teacher! I have alot of friends and family who play Guitar (or can help me out musically) I figure a bit fo knowledge from everyone will get me started in the right path! I'm no musician yet, but id have to say that its alot easier to learn music you like or music you can relate to than music you can't! So try getting your teacher to work on that, stay away from the technical stuff at the start! Alot of guitar players can't even read musical notes, only tabs... So work on understanding tabs, and songs you like!