How do record Room mics

I prefer a distant mono room mic mixed very low. I bring it up tl I just hear it and then back off ever so slightly. I think a mono room mic blends everything together better.

Edit: I also hi-pass around 400 or so.

I like to do a stereo pair at about knee height 10-12" from the kit. Depending on the style of music I sometime use these mics more than the overheads; it tends to have more depth and glues everything together nicely.

I put 1 stereo room mic about 6-8 feet out in front of the kit, splitting the distance between rack toms and cymbals height-wise. I generally roll-off everything under 200hz as a starting-off point with the EQ.

If you have an SM7 - it makes a great mono room mic. I just point it at the ceiling about 10 feet in front of the kit. Smash it with a compressor - fast attack, fast release, 20:1 ratio, loads of input signal. Roll off at 100hz and 12k with a small boost at those regions too

i have it as far away from the kit as I can usually - in my room thats about 15ft away. in the mix, i'll do different things depending on the band. sometimes ill squash the fuck out of it, and use 2 saturation plugins and go for a filthy sound and blend that in (also boosting sub lows). other times ill just cut the cymbals out as much as possible and compress and blend.

If you have an SM7 - it makes a great mono room mic. I just point it at the ceiling about 10 feet in front of the kit. Smash it with a compressor - fast attack, fast release, 20:1 ratio, loads of input signal. Roll off at 100hz and 12k with a small boost at those regions too

Yes I have a sm7b, I'll probably try this. I'm thinking of putting a sm7b the way you describe it, and also place a pair of 4050 in stereo, so I could choose if I keep the sm7b or the 4050s during mixing.

you should really experiment, it's one of those things where the room really is the x factor. I really love ORTF sometimes using omni's, it's my favorite room mic technique. I usually put it about 7 feet out in front of the drums. I'm also a big fan of dynamic mics as room mics. They need less tweaking to sound good to me. Next time you have the chance, just walk around the room while the drummer is playing and find the spots in the room that you think sound the best. Then put up a 57 or another dynamic in that spot.

What are you guys using for room mics normally? I'm thinking my R-121 would probably make a good choice but I've never bothered with room mics before. I'm doing an indie/folk/rock band next week though and getting the room sound in there is probably going to really work for this type of music.

I normaly use my rode NT2A like 3m away from the kit.

Then I smash the wav very hard with a good compressor (like the waves api 2500, or waves ssl)
The most important thing for me is the fast attack and release time.

Then I cut the lows (kick drum) and the highs (cymbals) with any eq out.

This gives the snare and toms some more 3D feeling IMO

cheers

i use ribbons in blumlein about 6 foot in front of the kit, facing the wall. also have a d112 on the floor in the vocal booth spank through the 1176 on the way in
all buttons baby!

I get the drummer to play a beat and walk around the room to find the spot I like best. This is normally where I can hear lots of snare and not much cymbals. Infact on my last session this was the first mic I placed, I then added overheads, kick mic and other spot mic's. Each time checking how they sound with the room mic.

I tend to change room mic choices on almost every session. AT4040 gets used alot, though on my last session I used a E906. I've also used C4000, RVD9, and a coincident pair of C391B's. I'm still experimenting though and haven't settled on a solid "go to" mic yet.

What made you think of pointing it at the ceiling? :confused: (initially, I mean, before discovering that it sounded good and continuing to do so)

¯(°_o)/¯

Mono or stereo? How do you place them?

Your best bet is to walk around the room with the mic and a headphone while the drummer is jamming on the kit... stop and place the mic where it sounds best with what you're intending to do with the room mic track... basically, know what your vision is with the room mic before you hit record.