How do slip edit guitars?!?!

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
I need to learn how to do it properly!

Does anyone have any pics or videos of how to edit guitar tracks this way? I'm used to cutting my one take up, or recording a few takes and then cutting them up and using the best played notes, but a lot of people say that you can't even notice slip editing has been done, so I'm keen to try it out :D

Any help would be cool dudes :kickass:

On like... one link. I was just being sarcastic, btw.

Can you not just look up slip editing drums and apply that to guitar?

On like... one link. I was just being sarcastic, btw.

Can you not just look up slip editing drums and apply that to guitar?

I'm not sure...

Yeah seriously it's the exact same thing.

I didn't know :confused: I haven't been able to download that video you uploaded because I've got a crap internet connection, and the video was for drum slip editing which I though was different to guitar slip editing, are they the same?

EDIT

Ah shit you just said they were haha

Why would you want to edit guitars when record at home?
Isn't it easier to choose the best take while tracking?

You on pro tools? Well if you are the best way to edit is make sure you also have a DI track going so you can see the notes better and then group the DI track and your DISTORTED track and just edit to grid and cut the silence/noise. Fade in, Fade out. BAM!

You on pro tools? Well if you are the best way to edit is make sure you also have a DI track going so you can see the notes better and then group the DI track and your DISTORTED track and just edit to grid and cut the silence/noise. Fade in, Fade out. BAM!

I'm only using Reaper... pro Tools would make this shit so much easier haha

I fail to see how editing could be much easier than it is in Reaper. I can fly through some editing in that program. I think you are solid where you are. Just do the normal slip editing thing and roll through it.

Check out my video in my signature. It's the same process for guitar editing... well everything actually. I do it all the time to drums, guitar DI's, bass and vocals.

I'm used to cutting my one take up, or recording a few takes and then cutting them up and using the best played notes, but a lot of people say that you can't even notice slip editing has been done, so I'm keen to try it out :D

sit down and play as many takes as needed to sound good!:headbang:

cheers
S.

sit down and play as many takes as needed to sound good!:headbang:

cheers
S.
or you could just take one really good take, comp it with a couple other good takes and then edit the small errors. that's alot quicker than having the musician perform the same take OVER AND OVER until perfection... unless, perfection is not desired...

no matter how terrible a client is in terms of musical capability, you want him/her to feel comfortable and asking them to do a take over and over and over and over and over might come across as you undermining them. if something can be fixed in post production, i always keep that take. if it gets to a point where i can't get a better performance, we move on.

I'm only using Reaper... pro Tools would make this shit so much easier haha

No it wouldn't. Slip editing is faster and easier than any editing you can do in ProTools. PT doesn't even have a slip editing feature like Reaper and Cubase.

edit the DI's and reamp, or don't edit at all. editing requires transients so if you're not doing DI's just don't bother.

if you're editing DI's and can't figure out how to slip edit them in reaper then there's something really wrong. split, alt+drag. that's it.