Meshuggah are ...

• One Trick Ponies

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Diabolical Geniuses

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • I can live with or without them

Votes: 21 35.6%

• Total voters
everyone is just like jumping in to conclusions just by listening to a one band's song.....how'd you feel if someone would judge katatonia based on just one song? let's say for instance "we must bury you" which imo is their shittiest song to date. in conclusion,you'd have to listen to a band's whole material before you can offer a solid opinion otherwise your opinion will fail

Indeed.
It took me some time to get into both Opeth and Katatonia.
It took me like 5-10 spins to really start enjoying Forsaker, and after 3 days i realize its just brilliant.

Its no different with Meshuggah, its just much more extreme, so give it time and some of you will find something there.
Ok if you dont like the screams, not much you can do there, but the music really starts to sink in after a while.

Under that disguise of "Math" metal it's just wimpy melodic death.

wtf

i downloaded their whole discography at once and tried to listen to some albums
i thought it was total shit, it all sounded the same and gave me a headache so i deleted everything

but a year ago i got into drumming, it occured that i redownloaded meshuggah and now i seriously cant get enough of them, for like a year straight its by far my most listened band
its really awesome shit

destroy erase improve is their best album. it was recorded in 1995 and it still sounds fresh

the tracks - i'd recommend spasm (off nothing album) or rational gaze (nothing).

the I EP is their best track imo.

catch 33 and chaosphere are more like one long track divided in pieces, therefore not good for newbies.

hypnotic, yes. you concentrate on a groove of a riff and then the drums take another turn.

i love meshuggah for their uniqueness. the funny thing is that all other bands that tried to do the same polyrhythmic stuff, it seems like it didn't work for them.

wtf

i downloaded their whole discography at once and tried to listen to some albums
i thought it was total shit, it all sounded the same and gave me a headache so i deleted everything

but a year ago i got into drumming, it occured that i redownloaded meshuggah and now i seriously cant get enough of them, for like a year straight its by far my most listened band
its really awesome shit

Their drummer is not interesting in the slightest imo. Funny thing is their most interesting drum parts were done with a program called drum kit from hell. I guess I can dig the footwork on Bleed, but thats about it.

This guy is way better:

Last edited by a moderator:
Their drummer is not interesting in the slightest imo. Funny thing is their most interesting drum parts were done with a program called drum kit from hell. I guess I can dig the footwork on Bleed, but thats about it.

This guy is way better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8

not just because of the drumming but more of the allaround rhythmic madness going on i just love it

tomas is one of my favorite drummers though, agren is amazing too and definitely better than tomas from a technical point of view but tomas is playing real cool things (though most written by marten and fredrik) with great groove i LOVE watching him play

real fucking great

he also writes their lyrics which is cool because their lyrics are actually good most of the times

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing them live I do remember he was actually my favorite part of their performance. Extremely powerful guy, and a real tight player.

This guy is way better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8

That guy is great, but so is the Meshuggah guy. You obviously don't know much about him if you think his "interesting" parts were "done with a program called drumkit from hell." ONE of their albums (Catch 33) has computer generated drums, cause they were aiming for a robotic sound, and the album has by far their least interesting drum parts. He plays it live flawlessly. EVERY OTHER ALBUM is actual drum playing. Half the songs on Chaosphere have highly entertaining drumming, same with many on Obzen and Nothing. Oh, I think the song "War" off their B-sides album is fake too, but who cares about 1 b-side off a remix album.

Thanks for telling me what I already know bro. The drums aren't the least interesting on 33, they're about the same, but what makes it so interesting to me at least is the fact that no one would have known it was programmed if the band hadn't said anything. Before you go telling me the Thomas was one of the drummers they sampled for Drumkit from Hell just know I was already well aware of that as well.

haha I remember once a friend told me that he dislike them because they are way too much "core"! :lol:

They are awesome, so unique and one of the few extreme metal bands that are worth.

They are core! Hardcore deathmetal rappers to de extreme. Way Brutalz.