How do you get master mix to commercial level?

He obviously keeps all the faders for every group track at +24db. I mean, come on. Simple.

ive noticed Joeys mixes are super loud compared to anything i have made even with it compressed to 0.0db, is there mastering plugins he uses?

You haven't reduced the dynamics as much as his mixes has. So, compress, compress, compress. Or leave it dynamic and let the listener decide the volume to listen at.

God, I long for when reference level is included in the meta tags

Checking the RMS level is always good ,you could try loading some comercial-like music to your daw to get an RMS average of where you should be heading but that will not always has to be the case ,be carefull with your RMS levels don't push it to a point that hurts :)

I'm still pretty new at this but I too struggle a lot with getting a loud master. My latest mix (just some stuff for fun, from home) has probably the most flat curve out of any of my mixes, and I compress a few dB here and there off of almost every instrument/drum, GClip on snare and kick, etc.... RMS meter showing about -12dB, but my master meter in Reaper is reading -0.2 ceiling, yet the actual meter is jumping up into the yellow, maybe occasionally the red zone.....and I just cannot seem to get the loud masters that some of you guys are. Is it really all about having some good outboard gear? Or do I just need to keep trying, and trying, and trying? I only work with stock plugins/free plugins for the time being until I actually start making money off this.

Its nothing about owning expensive outboard gear to get a loud master :).
A chain of a simple ITB Comp -> EQ -> Limiter (or something like that) should be able to get you almost all the way.

95% its something in the mix preventing you to reach the "goal".. try posting one of your songs and people usually can tell you what is going on quick :)