How do you guys deal with latency when reamping?

I did a loopback test (DAW > Reamp > DAW), measured the latency in samples and use this as the 'Nudge' value in PT.

My trick in PT, and I'm sure you could do this in other daws as well, is to draw in a pop before the track actually comes in.

I take a DI guitar track, and consolidate so there's about a bar of complete silence before it. Then I zoom all the way in right on a downbeat of a bar, get out the pencil tool, and just click right at the very bottom of the region. It makes a perfect upside triangle looking edit. When you play it through an amp, it'll make a fairly sharp spike which is easy to line back up to the downbeat. This is also a great way to time align mics.

I put the H/W buffer size to 64 on pro tools and there is NO latency.

Or maybe tiny tiny one and that's why when i mix my sm 57 tracks and re-amped 421 tracks they are out of phase ?

I just realized something while i was writting.

I´m using Cubase SX which works with latency-compensation. So there´s no latency when I´m re-amping. But I don´t know if SL3 has this latency-compensation, too.

Doesn't Cubase have a ping/loopback test feature? I think I remember reading that it does...

Regardless of your interface, DAW, and buffer settings, there WILL be latency incurred by the DA/AD conversion. No exceptions. There will. Whether or not the DAW compensates for this is another question.

Guitar Godgt has said that he is seeing latency on the reamped track, so there is. Like I said, I think Cubase has a ping/loopback setup that can take care of this for you, but it must not be set up correctly on Guitar Godgt's system.

PT LE does not compensate for this, but you can measure it by performing a loopback test. On my system (002R), the DA/AD conversion incurs 5 samples of latency, everytime. That may not sound like a lot, but the difference in timing is clearly audible after Nudging.

CFH13's method also works well for phase alignment of multiple mics. I've found that using the Nudge function is just faster and more accurate across all tracks. After reamping all the tracks, I just select them all and hit the '<' key and they're all aligned.

CFH13's method also works well for phase alignment of multiple mics. I've found that using the Nudge function is just faster and more accurate across all tracks. After reamping all the tracks, I just select them all and hit the '<' key and they're all aligned.

Agreed. My HD rig though for some reason, varies slightly depending on how much I have going on in the session (tracks,plugs, delay comp etc. etc.) so I find this way I can visually see exactly the delay. Mine varies from 5-11 samples.

Your are right though in that using the nudge command across all tracks is very easy and quicker if the delay is constant.

Agreed. My HD rig though for some reason, varies slightly depending on how much I have going on in the session (tracks,plugs, delay comp etc. etc.) so I find this way I can visually see exactly the delay. Mine varies from 5-11 samples.

That's odd. That would really bug me...

If you reamp with Delay Comp off, does the value remain constant?

Are you recording @ 24/44, or do you use a higher sample rate? On my system, the latency does change slightly when using different sample rates, but they still remain constant within the session.

Do you keep the buffer on one setting?

I'm always at 512 w/ Low-Latency Monitoring enabled during tracking, and the latency when reamping has been consistent for me.

That's odd. That would really bug me...

If you reamp with Delay Comp off, does the value remain constant?

Are you recording @ 24/44, or do you use a higher sample rate? On my system, the latency does change slightly when using different sample rates, but they still remain constant within the session.

Do you keep the buffer on one setting?

I'm always at 512 w/ Low-Latency Monitoring enabled during tracking, and the latency when reamping has been consistent for me.

yeah I should of been more specific. I meant session to session, not within one.

Delay comp off, 24/88.2 or 24/44.1 and 512 playback engine.

I did a loopback test (DAW > Reamp > DAW), measured the latency in samples and use this as the 'Nudge' value in PT.

How exactly is this done in detail in protools?

I tried the drawing the little spike but had a hard time lining it up still cause the spike changed on the reamp track. Id like to just know how many samples of latency I'm dealing with and slide the track.

Or any other tricks that someone might know for protools......

SL3 does not have latency comensation that I know of.
Or any other tricks that someone might know for protools......

Try to add this in front of the guitar track for alignment use:

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/500hz_sine_for_alignment.wav

Its nothing special really. Just one full loop of 500hz sine at -6dbFS + few seconds of silence

edit: heres HOW TO instructions
reamp_alignment.jpg

I`m using kick sample for loopback test and then I just specify Record Placement Offset (Advanced button, ASIO setup, Cubase & Nuendo).
No need then in additional time correction.

You have to set that up on your own man. There is no way for Steinberg to have one setting for every person that will be using the software. Everyone is using a different computer, so some will need more delay compensation and some will need less.

~006

It seems that some audio drivers (from certain vendors) can do most of this work, while others (like ESI) needs determination of record placement offset.

I fixed mine with a loopback test that way:

-Set up a cable from an output back into an input of the soundcard (watch out for feedback, make sure the monitoring is off on that input)
-Took a snare hit, assign the output of that Cubase track to the output of your soundcard
-Set another track assigned with the input of the loop. Armed to record
-Hit record
-Now you should have a copy of the snare hit on that new track
-Switch the time ruler to "samples"
-Calculate the number of samples between original snare and recorded snare on the ruler.
-Go to VST multitrack / expert in peripherials menu and insert that number of samples into the record placement offset box

Do the test again and finetune if necessary.

Frank