How do you like TGCD two years after its release?

My opinion of TGCD hasn't changed much at all since 2006. When I get in a Katatonia mood, it always gets some listens. It's neither my favorite nor my least favorite Katatonia album. It's got a few songs that are really personal to me, or at least were at one time, and that's one of the biggest things I look for in a Katatonia album. And aside from the album itself, the B-sides on the singles are some of their best songs ever.

For me it was the best thing ever when it was first released but doesn't have the same impact on me now. Sometimes I rediscover it but I don't listen to it nearly as much now.

Still a great album, and my favourite by Katatonia :). The subtleties are what really completes the album for me and takes it to the next level, even for the songs that are a bit weaker and took longer to grow on me.

TGCD is a great album, but it didn't have the same lasting impact as Brave Murder Day or Discouraged Ones, my two favorite Katatonia albums. I listen to it on occasion, but usually just a few songs.

TGCD was the album that made me into a huge Katatonia fan. I only used to be a person who owned two albums by them because they sounded pretty good, but nothing more. TGCD is the Katatonia album i listen to most to along with Discouraged Ones, Viva Emptiness and TLFDGD.
Fav songs: Leaders, My Twin, Follower, July, In The White, Dissolving Bonds and Code against the code..and well..I've loved almost all the songs on the album throughout the last 3 years. Only two songs that I haven't liked as much. Consternation and The Itch..(they're not bad though..just too often skip them)..one song that I can't listen to anymore at all is Soil's Song, it was the first song I really liked on the album, but I got very fast tired of it and haven't listened to it for 2 years or so. Odd really..I just can't stand it now. Journey Through pressure is a song I didn't like until recently..5 months ago or so because of a thread here where so many said they loved that song. I listened to it a couple of more times and suddenly (most likely brainwashed myself though ;) I loved that song too...but it must be played loud.

The production of this album is just unbelivable I think. The drumming and bass...groove...vocals...everything, close to perfect.

The only thing I see wrong with this album is that it's not an album I can listen to through in one go. I just have to pick out a couple of songs every time. The whole album becomes too..well, it all melts into one greyish pot. The album would have been perfect with a couple of more varied soundscapes neatly stuffed into the package..butbut...still love this album.

To anyone who's sick of me saying how good this album is..I'm sorry, but this thread did ask for it ;)

.......The production of this album is just unbelivable I think. The drumming and bass...groove...vocals...everything, close to perfect.

The only thing I see wrong with this album is that it's not an album I can listen to through in one go. I just have to pick out a couple of songs every time. The whole album becomes too..well, it all melts into one greyish pot. The album would have been perfect with a couple of more varied soundscapes neatly stuffed into the package........

I agree with MiniMoose here. The Great Cold Distance features the best sound quality and production from any of their releases before!

I also agree that while TGCD is a great cd, it does lack variety. Even just a couple of different type of songs would have made TGCD into a perfect release! Unfurl or something along those lines would be a nice break in between their other songs. But I won't complain too much, as it's not very often a band comes this close to perfection!

Katatonia are leaps and bounds above what most professional bands accomplish IMO.

I love them. (Just not in a gay sort of way. Unless their next cd makes me cream my pants, then maybe I could worry I have gay tendencies about their music? hmmm... something to think about. Then again, I'm a pastor and I must not think or speak bad or strange things, and especially must never admit mental illness, even if I am ill. But beside, if I am ill I would never know such a thing because if I'm truly ill in the brain I would enjoy the fact I'm making a living from people's tithes and offerings. I'm blessed. Truly blessed, even if ill.)

One song that never gets a mention but is my fav of TGCD is Increase, I love that intro, such a powerful start and then into the atmospheric verse.

And the best bit, the sidechained drums at the end, up loud they sound like they are wacking you in the face