How do you make your music?

daimonion

Jan 6, 2004
I know theres several musicians here. I've listened to some of your demos, and it holds a pretty high standard. But what programs and equipment do you use?

And: I'm looking for a (free) software that i can use to sort of click in the melodies i want and use different sounds. Add drums and all that. I'm not looking for a recording software, just something that i can make full-fledged songs on.

well i would really love to have some soft to do some synth work .. for drumming I have DrumSite .. really nice stuff.. you can 'design' your drumming and then just press play and record it (i've adobe audition for that) and its done... and it has some really cool sounds.. also you can add the sounds for your own.. a cool thing is to edit some songs in mp3 or so.. in a part where you can have just the thing you want.. ( some splash for exemple.. ) then you can cut the tiny piece of the song where it appears and add the sound of it to your own digital drumkit.. gives it a more convincing sound.

Yeah, tried that... Too complicated for me. Some of the sounds just kept on going without me programming them that way, and i couldn't figure out how to make long notes and so on.

Any other program like that?

buy a mac and get garageband, it rocks for simple fast home use.
supports midi (including those wonderful premade tracks, so you can just select drum pattern) and a big red "record" button.
It doesn't sound all to good, but it works, and it takes about 5 minutes to learn everything.

Have garage band om my Mac, but the microphone is rigth next to the fan... and, obviously thats not too good... been planing to buy a "guitar>computer" cable... but... student salary you know :p

if you want to make your own music you need to work your ass off ain't that simple dude

i explained once on the swanö forum a really nice way to record a paino and the sound comes out crystal clear and stereophonic.
you take pare of small earphones...the kind that goes inside the ear.
you tape(so it doesn't move) the right earphone inside the right side of the paino wall...and the same with the left earphone on the left of the piano. you plug the earphones to the mic jack of whatever recording device you're using whether it's a recording console, a minidisc, a computer or whatever you like.
now you adjust the recording volume so the sound doesn't get distorted from being too loud...you may need to get the recording volume really quiet...it's pretty damn loud inside a piano. that's about it
one more important thing...
I don't have a recording studio and the piano is in my living room which is facing a pretty noisy road.
now I found out that if I adjust the recording level really low and close the piano lid on the earphones you can't hear any noise...unless there's a plane passing by or something.
fuck soundproof booths...åldskool åll de wej!

now about a program...It really doesn't matter all that much...I like Adobe Audition for physical recording ( I can't really afford it...cracked version) it's really simple, and for the rest there are fruity loops and Sony Acid.
I also have Natural Instruments' virtual keyboards(B4,Pro 53 and FM7), it's not very comfy to play on the computer keyboard but i'll get me a simple inexpenssive midi keyboard soon and i'll be rocking in the night with fire with double sawtooth and shit!
the most important thing for doing your own recording is having a really good sound card

I use Audacity when my band jams. But we don't care about the quality, we just want to listen back to remember the parts that we liked. Audacity won't get you the best quality, but it isn't terrible either.

i think theres a free program called audacity

I have audacity, and it is a horrible program. You can record onto it, but you can't change the file type to write it to a CD, the effects suck, and it has nothing sound wise to add other than effects onto what you recorded...I don't have a drummer right now and I was hoping Audacity had a drum sound of some sort...no.

If you want the notes on fruity loops to stop, you need to input a note precisely where you want the stop to occur, and cut the volume of that note all the way off. It's works quite well. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

I want some help with Fruity Loops. I've had it for awhile. I couldn't figure it out and forgot about it. Haha, I'm terrible with it.

I want some help with Fruity Loops. I've had it for awhile. I couldn't figure it out and forgot about it. Haha, I'm terrible with it.

http://forum.bandamp.com/Lessons/29664.html Looky at the tutorials there if you really wanna learn. Easy stuff.

Fruity loops is pretty good with the synth part.. once you learn how to use the program tis pretty easy to make some nice sounding songs. maybe it's just me but the drums sound crap on it though. At least the default ones..