How do YOU tune drums?

How do YOU tune drums?

• To the natural note of the drum/shell

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • To the song/key its being play in/for

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've never tried tuning drums to notes. I think it's something pretty common in Jazz? Normally I'm just aiming for getting rid of horrible overtones and making sure the drum has a good balance of attack/body.

Haven't tried tuning to a note but if the right song came along, I would attempt it.
Kick - both skins pretty much as loose as possible
Snare - no go-to method really... every snare is so different, but generally top head tighter than the bottom. Usually need some moongel on there.
Toms - top head really low, almost as loose as possible, bottom head up to desired pitch

I get the bottom head first, then just start with the top head off and gradually go up 1/8th turn at a time until it sounds right. Always check tuning between the lugs to make sure it's the same..

Tama makes a neat tension watch that I'd like to try. My DW kit has the notes printed on the inside of the shells, I don't know if all DWs are like that or not. I don't tune them to that note, I just get them to where they sound like mini kick drums.

When I go to blend other samples with the toms I'll find the note that the toms were tuned to and then use the pitch wheel in drumagog to match it. You can just use a tuning plugin.

Snare top head is about 5 "notes" lower than bottom. Toms bottom head is one "note" higher than the top, Kick is finger tight on batter and two turns on the resonant. Tap between lugs with a drum key to find even tightness around entire head. Find the range for the lowest and highest toms that is comfortable; tune snare in between the two.

Snare is hardest to get right.

Find the range for the lowest and highest toms that is comfortable; tune snare in between the two.

I was thinking of a way to say this, but couldnt quite get there this early haha

but depending on how many toms Im using, and the size of the toms, they will be tuned slightly different to complement each other.

I usually try to tune the kick drum to the key of the song. sometimes I helps the harmonics of the drums to sit nicely with the guitars. other times It sounds like poo and I just stick with the regular kick sound.

I use a tama tension watch sometimes, but half the time I stick with an evans torque key, which seems to be close enough. I have found the tama tension watch to be a bit too sensitive, Its very hard to get drums that in tune. maybe Its just because I have only really ever recorded mid level kits.

you all forgot to mention star pattern when going from lug to lug!

also... it's definitely better to learn to tune quick 'n dirty by ear, how to get those toms "singing" and in the ballpark before trying to crunch some numbers with a tension watch. tension watch also definitely work better on nicer drums then they do shitty ones. on crappy drums just getting every "number" right at each lug with a tension watch, according to the pamphlet, will definitely not automatically make them sound good.

To me, the LPP is the best way to tune, particularly because it usually is the resonate pitch and provides the most scooped "crunchy" sound. I don't like the sound of toms or kicks when they are pitched too tight because they begin to sound dull and don't sustain as well as they should (and what sustain is there is highly unmusical). Snares I'm not to sure about though, smaller snares (ex. 15x5.5 or 14x5.5) I like to be pitched lower, to the resonate pitch, and larger/deeper snares (15x6.5) I like a hair higher because they have the depth for the thickness, get them pitched a bit higher for more pop.

also... it's definitely better to learn to tune quick 'n dirty by ear, how to get those toms "singing" and in the ballpark before trying to crunch some numbers with a tension watch. tension watch also definitely work better on nicer drums then they do shitty ones. on crappy drums just getting every "number" right at each lug with a tension watch, according to the pamphlet, will definitely not automatically make them sound good.

The tension watch is meant for making sure that the tension on all the lugs are equal to minimize bad harmonics. The rule of thumb is to use it when the drums sounds out of tune to find which lug is the culprit and needs to be adjusted. Its all about using your ears, the tension watch is just an enhancement tool to make that easier.

^ Lowest Possible Pitch. Its the lowest pitch that you can get to that the head can correctly resonate at. In practice you actually tune the drum about a 1/8-1/4 turn on each lug to get it just above that pitch.

here are a few videos Evans made which I highly agree with on tuning drums.

Last edited by a moderator: