How does one have an "elegant solution" to the squid problem?

I saw this last week. The solution was neither elegant nor acceptable. There were some good moments and I think if you hadn't read it you would have to say it was a decent movie, but I felt awful leaving the theater and wished wholeheartedly that it had never been made.

That piece did it very concise job of detailing the majority of the film's faults. Faults that far outweigh the positive elements.
I walked out during Spectre's speech to Jon on Mars. Her acting hurt my soul.

SPOILERS

the fucking ending man

for no appreciable reason, they dump the squid. (it wouldn't have taken THAT much more screen time, especially when they had all these retarded ten-minute slo-mo fighting and sex scenes). they replace it with something that makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER (the whole point of the squid is that the russians blame "aliens" instead of americans, and americans blame "aliens" instead of russians; there is NO FUCKING WAY the russians would not blame the USA for the american superweapon dr. manhattan getting out of control.)

THEN, they ruin one of the absolute greatest things about the book: the timing. it's so awesome how veidt does the whole "I'm a supervillain and here is my plan" speech, and then the watchmen are like "we're gonna stop you" and he's like "idiots, am I a supervillain? I did it fifteen minutes ago" and then it cuts to NYC with corpses everywhere and NEVER SHOWS the actual destruction. but they couldn't restrain themselves in the movie. They had to show the destruction and completely ruin what is maybe my favorite individual part of the book.

and THEN they keep rolling film. all of us were like "um what? stop. what's going on?" and nite owl KEEPS TALKING and then eventually punches veidt and walks away and we were like, "that served no purpose."

everything you say is true. I still enjoyed the heck out of it!

I think my favorite part of that review (and something I totally did not notice) is when she points out that they forgot to alter the "I can't wait to smell you cooking" line in the jail. So retarded.