this computer problem is really confusing to me and really aggravating

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
I'm having an amazingly aggravating computer problem and I'm pretty much at the end of my rope about what to do about it.

I just went from 256MB of RAM to 1.25 gig of RAM two nights ago. I was pretty excited especially because I've had slow load times on stuff like Battlefield 1942 and now, finally, I have an unnecessarily large amount of RAM to kick around.

Unfortunately, once the RAM was properly seated (and working wonderfully), a new and mysterious problem appeared. Everything works fine--great--every program except Battlefield 1942 (which is a bit of a resource hog, but nothing my system can't handle and then some). I'll load up the game, load a map, and then play for a couple of minutes when suddenly the game will crash with no warning or error message--it just vanishes.

I messed around with it a bit, increasing virtual memory paging size and making sure my motherboard drivers were updated and stuff, and it didn't help. In fact, at one point, the game blue-screened (split-second, too brief for me to read message, but something about an error. duh) and the whole system rebooted itself. And on restart I got some error message about a driver of an unknown device not being right.

I checked the EA website and there WAS an entry for this problem, but it said it was only if you had a VIA motherboard. I followed their procedure for checking if I had a VIA motherboard and the answer was No. (Mine's an ABIT KG-7 RAID). I went back to look at the Abit site for drivers and, suspiciously, I noticed some mention of VIA stuff (what's VIA? not exactly sure). So many I have a secretly-VIA motherboard?

I followed EA's advice for the solution, downloading a "test driver". Installed it. It didn't help. Installed some kind of IDE driver (whatever that means) from the Abit site, and on restart, my computer froze on the pword screen. Restarted; disk-checked; froze on desktop. Restarted, skipped disk check, and the computer didn't freeze. Tried BF1942 and it crashed. Re-installed BF1942. Restarted. Tried BF1942. It crashed.

So, I'm lost. Could my motherboard be defective/damaged? Did it just become so when I installed the memory? Why isn't it causing trouble in other apps--they're not resource-hoggy enough to trigger it? And most importantly, HOW DO I FIGURE IT OUT if it IS damaged? Is there a diagnostic tool or something?

It is a via chipset, not a via motherboard. Your motherboard can be an abit, asus, whatever and still have a via chipset. Are you sure your memory is properly seated in the slots? Sounds like a memory problem, your new memory might be defective. Take out all your memory dimms and check them one by one to see if the problem appears with one of them or all of them. If it does with all of them then it is either your motherboard or your CPU, which is not good news.

Well, I did have a problem seating the memory originally--I wasn't pushing it in hard enough and the computer wouldn't restart, just beep beep beep. But I finally got it seated right, and the computer started up, and it shows me as having the proper amount of RAM, so that suggests it's not improperly seated, right?

I'm checking my memory sticks tonight. If that doesn't solve the problem, how can I know for sure what's wrong, so I can send back my motherboard or whatever?

You might have shorted something on your board or your memory when it wasn't properly seated. If the memory is not the problem, well I imagine you don't have another cpu that fits in the PC close by, you could have checked the cpu that way. What kind of precautions did you take for grounding yourself while installing the memory? You didn't do this while your feet on a carpet did you?

fuck, no, i didn't take precautions, so i guess that's possible. i was sitting indian-style on my bed with the computer in my lap. how can i check if it's the motherboard short of plugging in another one?

tr022a.jpg

what do you mean by "check everything that plugs in..."? you mean, like, plug in an alternate CPU, and plug in an alternate PCI/AGP card, and so on and so forth, and if the problem still persists it's the motherboard??

i think i fixed it!!! i tried the simplest solution first, and removed my old 256MB stick, leaving in the two new 512MB sticks...and the comp hasn't crashed yet during BF after two hours of play, when it used to crash after 2-3 minutes.

i'm not sure exactly what the problem was--my motherboard claims it does NOT need twinned, synced RAM, and i bought two sticks kind of on a whim (thankfully). maybe the particular program does, however? (i've heard of that happening before). or, possibly, the third DIMM is a little broken, and any memory stick in it would have failed. OR, the differing brands was more of a problem than you'd think.

anyway, i think i'm good. and sooo grateful.