I need a computer genius for this!

and also is there anyway i can check to see the temperature of my CPU?
Damian B linked the best temp monitor.

ai have a meter on my desktop telling me how much of it is being used and it gets to about 25-30% without me even doing anything.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

If i just have iTunes open or something, it gets to like 25%.
After so many fails it is possible that your HDD got switched to PIO mode which uses CPU to access the data on that HDD.
A simple file copy operation will use up to 100% of a CPU core in that mode which is obviously unacceptable on a machine used for audio production.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472

so after i downloaded SpeedFan, this is what my temperature levels look like:

GPU: 28C
Temp1: -128C
Temp2: 22C
Temp3: 87C
HD0: 24C
Temp1: 87C
Core 0: 98C
Core 1: 98C
Core 2: 99C

whats this about?

^ it´s a desktop? It´s a very high temperature for a desktop, usually they work around 50/70. This may be your problem.

yeah this is a desktop (my studio computer). After i saw this, i put my firewire card back in and flipped my fireface 800 back on and my levels dropped by 10. but then once i started up itunes, they went right back up to 99.

im referring to my core temperatures.

so after i downloaded SpeedFan, this is what my temperature levels look like:

GPU: 28C
Temp1: -128C
Temp2: 22C
Temp3: 87C
HD0: 24C
Temp1: 87C
Core 0: 98C
Core 1: 98C
Core 2: 99C

whats this about?

It is a miracle the PC even runs...
Does it smell of slightly melted plastic ?
Open the case and check if all fans are running.
A temporary solution would be a small room fan directed at the opened case.

My temps when idle:
Temp1: 32C
Temp2: 41C (CPU)
Temp3: 36C (CPU)
HD0: 39C
Core: 17C
GPU: 33C
Core: 33C
HD1: 39C

When under heavy load the CPU goes from 40 to about 58-60 and GPU to about 65.

More processes you run more heat will come of the CPU. Also, as a safety measure, the pc restarts itself after reaching a very high temperature to avoid damaging the CPU. But I am no pro at this issue. Wait for somebody to bring light to this topic.

It is a miracle the PC even runs...
Does it smell of slightly melted plastic ?
Open the case and check if all fans are running.
A temporary solution would be a small room fan directed at the opened case.

My temps when idle:
Temp1: 32C
Temp2: 41C (CPU)
Temp3: 36C (CPU)
HD0: 39C
Core: 17C
GPU: 33C
Core: 33C
HD1: 39C

When under heavy load the CPU goes from 40 to about 58-60 and GPU to about 65.

All my fans are running, but i think the main problem here is my water cooling. im not sure if its working or not. Can someone please tell me how i can check?

Like the others said, see if the fan above the processor it´s working.

Yeah the fan above the cooling kit is working but, what else could it be? why are my temperatures so high? all my fans are working and apparently my cooling kit works. And he did put that paste everyone is talking about (sorry lack of knowledge lol)

Your heatsink is not making good contact with the top of the processor. It's acting as an insulator and the processor is doing everything it can to stay cool by cutting speed and power, but it will lose. Take off the heatsink and re-attach it. Make sure there's no room for it to rock side-to-side and that there's a thin layer of thermal paste between the processor and heatsink. Clean both with rubbing alcohol before you put new thermal paste on.

sounds like dried out / badly applied thermal-paste on the cpu, usually 80° is the max for a non-renderfarm desktopmachine in a normal enviroment (not in like after 80 it will melt down but it rarely gets beyond 80). do the sledgehammer and open up the case and set a big fan in front of it, wait for the temperature to drop significantly then try again. If the problem is fixed you just need a new cooler.

yea you shouldnt even run your computer with those temps or your cpu will completely die in a matter of time. bring it to the tech and tell him something is wrong making the cpu overheat. your water cooling isnt working or something is up with your thermal paste.

mine runs at 30C under load with a big air cooled 20 dollar heat sink

Ouch dude. I'd be mildly pissed off at the supposed tech you took the machine to, especially as you've bought a new motherboard needlessly it would appear. Miracle it ever booted! Every time you switch that thing on at the moment you risk total annihilation of that part, thankfully its hitting the tj max and bombing out at 100ish degrees otherwise it would have just burnt. Not to mention blowing the rest of your rig up and at worst your house lol.

I'd stick a cheap cooler on it and sod the water cooling just to make sure, then pursue fixing the water cooling.

Here's a classic video-

Last edited by a moderator:
The other day my missus laptop had the same problem. So I opened it up and cleaned out the CPU fan and the fan outlet grill
After I re-assembled the laptop, it was working flawless. No overheating problems now.

1. Clean all the cooling fans with a brush or sumthing similar (I usually take them out of the case when doing this)
2. Disconnect the CPU and make sure the thermal grease has been applied correctly
3. Make sure they are extracting the hot air OUT of the case
4. Make sure the air outlet of the case is not blocked by objects such as a wall, desk or books etc
5. Make sure the wires are not in the way of the CPU/cooling accessories

if the problem still exists, then the cooling system is not doing its job properly (drop it in to an expert)

Yeah at this point I'd take it back to the shop. Any decent place should guarantee their work and deliver a working computer. You may have to pay a bit more for parts and materials (thermal paste, new fans, etc), but labor should be free.

EDIT: Also, bring your interface and peripherals so the tech can test the PC with them.

It could be that the CPU heatsink/fan got damaged or dislodged in transport back from the tech's place. Seen that before, and it never ends well.

Quick point about cleaning - Air duster is the best, and never use a hoover 'cos those things belt out static...