How Does One REALLY Get Started In Graphic Design??

Eyesore

Apr 9, 2002
Boston
www.eyesoretimes.com
Hey, I'm wondering if some of you can give me some advice? About 2 years ago I installed Photoshop on my computer because I wanted to try my hand a designing a cover for my second book that was being published. Here is the cover:

The Silent Winds of October

As you can see, the font is boring, the fire is fake, the ocean has an area that is a different color because I moved my name block and had to fill in the old one and it didn't blend well, and I submitted it in RGB mode. So, I continued trying to figure out Photoshop, but since I had a pirated version I didn't have the manual, so it was all trial and error work. My next book was easy to do. I took a picture of an eclipse and just stretched it and made it look like a sort of explosion (or vagina, as my friend says).

A Scattering of Seeds

This is when I learned that RBG mode was not a good mode for print because originally the pink was coming back with distinct rings of this bright fuckin' neon hot pink! But I figured it out and it turned out cool. The cover is simple, not much to be in awe of, but that's the point. After that I decided to start trying to challenge myself and work on some CD covers for some local bands. The first was a friend's band called Rex Manning Day. I did a few covers for them, but they started to be dicks about it all because I was not interested in using their artwork because it sucked, and because I was putting up $500 for them and was going to put it out on a label I had started. Eventually, I washed my hands of the whole thing, but here's my favorite cover that I did for them:

Rex Manning Day

For a laugh, this is the cover they did (tell me what it has to do with the title?) and the artwork they were sending me:

Final Cover | Logo They Wanted To Use | Cover They Sent Me

Would you associate your name with that? So anyway, I was getting better and I tried a few more covers for bands. Here they are:

badkarma #1 | badkarma #2

Eyesore

Now I'm working on the cover to my third book:

Higher Than Heaven (Draft #1) | Higher Than Heaven (Draft #2)

But I'm realizing that I'm not getting any better at it and I think it's because I have no formal training and I'm still doing the trial and error thing, and when I figure something out I tend to not remember how I got there. So, after this longwinded drivel (had to give you the background with visuals) I am in need of advice. What sort of courses should I take? Should I take any courses? Or could I get a book or two? Do I need a Wacom Board (I think I do, the mouse sucks to work with).

Actually, if anyone can just give me a little insight on how you got started on it all. I think I'm doing pretty good for having no formal training, but because of that I have no direction and I hate spending 2 hours trying to figure out how to do something when it should only take me 3 mouse-clicks to actually do it. You know?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you're willing to offer. And sorry for the novel!! o_O

hehehe Why dont you actually plan what way you want say a book cover to be, draw it or something but make it alot harder and something for you to work on, spend alot of time at it makin it as perfect as you can, sometimes that works, actually that does work,lol,

I thought the cover to The Silent Winds of October was really good.

Well, thanks. I like the cover, but I think it could have been a lot better. It shows my lack of skill, I think. Anyway, I've come up with the cover to my next book—if anyone cares! =) I made it by accident. While trying to add something to this cover:

Higher Than Heaven #1

So with that cover I wanted to try and add something to take away from the huge cross in the middle because I don't want people taking the word "Heaven" and thinking religion because this book is not a religious book. So, I added this to the cover:

Higher Than Heaven #2

I think this is a pretty cool cover, it gives it a celestial tone, but in the process of layering the stars onto the cross cover, I came up with this cover:

Higher Than Heaven #3

I obviously didn't expect this to jump out at me, but I really like it. It's simple yet effective, and it doesn't make people instantly think religion. Word.

The only suggestion i can give is just always experiment with new things.

In the begining, my "art" was absolute ass, now its better, but still pretty much ass, but Ive tried many new things and such and its still a great improvment