Learning Graphic Design

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Hey guys and Trav! I was wondering how it would be possible to learn graphic design on the computer, maybe there are sites, books? I know most people will say you have to go to school for that, but I see plenty of very talented folks who never went to college or were really great before they went. I only have Paint Shop Pro X, so what do I need to do to start learning how?

:)

Ah well, I don't mind too much about being in school a very long time as long as I'm learning. I don't really have any life other than that. But I didn't want to major in graphic design, I wanted to major in music... something I know... I don't know squat about graphic designing so I wanted to hone my "skillz" before the time comes... if it does. :eek:

I guess my first step would be to get Photoshop? Is that what Travis uses?

If you plan on making a career out of Graphic Design, I would suggest study is almost essential. Tutorials can teach you plenty of useful techniques but as Rex said, there's a lot more to graphic design and additionally, if you find a good course it will cover so much vital ground and material that most wouldn't even consider to be relevant (believe me, it is).

Graphic design is the development of a visual solution for a visual problem. You are going to have to spend far more time understanding your audience than learning software.

I would suggest reading up on working with space, and how pieces relate to one another. Pick up some color palettes, start making tasks for yourself and then going forward with them...for example: Make up a company, design four logos for them and justify to yourself why each one could be a great tool for that company. Or make a concert flyer for a band you like. This will help you understand the importance of information.

Pictures are great, but can you read where the show is located? Are people going to know what band is playing that night? Does it cost money?

As for software - the Adobe suite is really your best bet. Industry standard. Get to know InDesign (Quark has had some issues recently, so I have been getting heavier into the program), Illustrator, and Photoshop. Pick up a few books on them to see what you can do.

For some inspiration and tutorials, check out deviantart.com. It's a user community that has a lot of beautiful work.

Design is basically the art of compromise. You will find many questions to ask, more deadlines to meet, and times where you will have to make choices that you don't want to make

...but it's a lot of fun :)

Hope some of that helps.

Quick question:
I have Illustrator and Photoshop (both CS2) - now, I was wondering...How much would one typically use each program for a good size album art project? I know that illustrator is a vector based program (ps is raster) - so switching between the two should decrease the quality (not to mention turn any vector work into raster). Do do you use illustrastor to just get the base/foundatrional line structures for designs AND then move it over to photoshop (and continue working from there)?

I'd like to be able to try my hand at replicating the new Woods of Ypres artwork (just to get technique and trhe process of creating things like this down) - any help would be appreciated.

edit: I'm also in a class, but...they are not covering anything like this.

Photoshop for all raster graphics. Get them prepped in Photoshop, created or whatever.

Illustrator: Good for logos and vector art based stuff.

InDesign for all page layout and text. InDesign rules. If you don't have it, look into it. Take all your parts and put em together in InDesign for the final piece.

I've finally figured out how the artists get that "opaque" affect in a lot of the non-painted artwork you may see, like even Travis Smith's cover for Still Life. On the foundation (aka layer 1) he's got a photo of dirt, roots, some leafs, etc... He has other layers above that, and each of them have a certain transparency setting. I found in PSP9 that the layer window lets you choose an exposure amount for each layer so you can hide things, make them transparent.... That will definitely come in handy with a lot of stuff.

I started taking an art class at college and I'm almost done with the first semester, but it isn't digital. Its old fashioned, pencil / ink / pen and various kinds of paper. Mostly black and white stuff.

I've finally figured out how the artists get that "opaque" affect in a lot of the non-painted artwork you may see, like even Travis Smith's cover for Still Life. On the foundation (aka layer 1) he's got a photo of dirt, roots, some leafs, etc... He has other layers above that, and each of them have a certain transparency setting. I found in PSP9 that the layer window lets you choose an exposure amount for each layer so you can hide things, make them transparent.... That will definitely come in handy with a lot of stuff.

I started taking an art class at college and I'm almost done with the first semester, but it isn't digital. Its old fashioned, pencil / ink / pen and various kinds of paper. Mostly black and white stuff.

I'm currently a senior in college studying graphic design. yeah, i would just suggest taking as many classes on phtoshop, illustrator, and art design classes that deal with creating logos, etc. there's no quick way to become a master at adobe programs.