How effective is CDBaby physical distribution?

Nov 26, 2011
I know that if your product is priced at a cheap amount that super D will buy a amount of copies and distrubute it to over 2000 stores *correct me if that is not the process*

But could someone tell me how effective is this in building your base, the chances of your album ending up on a shelf, and why would it be a good Idea to physical ditribute.

I was thinking of physically distributing a 9-10 electronica track album then a 9 track rock album, and Im not really sure what to do. :bah:

my cloud incase
http://soundcloud.com/aires

Someone enlighten me!

As always: if you have no fanbase, then CD Baby won't create one. And if you have no fanbase, then you might as well sell through your own site and ship the few cds/shirts yourself. I used them a few years back and it was kind of a hassle because they wouldn't stock over a certain amount of CDs, so I had to keep sending them CDs to sell.

We've sold several CD with the CD Baby distribution, I quote smy1; it really depends on your fanbase.

For my band (Italy based) CD Baby it's a good channel to cut shipping rates to USA, because shipping them individually from Italy will be too expensive.

What they said. We had some problems with them on our last album. when it took them forever to get it up on iTunes and spotify, but I have friends in bands that have had nothing but good things to say about them.

I find it very effective, all copies I sent them were sold and they keep on asking for bigger quantities. The download is pretty hard to sell, though.
If you associate your CDBaby account with Jango Airplay, your sales should probably raise in the US after a few months. It's been working nicely for me.

Why bother when you can ship them yourself? CDbaby is am antique leftover from the days before paypal. If you sell so many albums that you need someone to ship them for you, CDbaby still isn't the answer.

CDBaby is okay, but really it's mainly good for getting your shit onto iTunes, Spotify, et al. Bandcamp has been awesome for us for the rest of it.