How frequently do you change your strings ?

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
I mean, with my Ibanez it's quite easy and fast to change. I should change them more often. And earlier today I was like, the fuck, I stopped smoking a few years ago and those cigarette packs cost almost twice the price of an Ernie Ball 10-46 here. But still, I don't change them as often as once every two months. But it will change. Fuck, I used to smoke a pack a day. (But i'm a poor student)

For casual playing? Once every couple of months or so. Current set has been on for about three months though. No real point in changing them when I'm not really recording anything.

This year I bought a guitar with a locking trem and started using it as my main instrument so not as much as I should heh. PITA to change strings especially when not recording anything. I do have sweaty hands so it sucks to have to do it after about 8-10 hours of just casual jamming, which for me takes a few weeks. Ideally I'd do it every two weeks based on my sweat output but usually I'll wait 2 months if I haven't been playing more than normal. Just put my last set of Heavy Core dunlops on about a week ago, already needs new ones.

If I'm just messing around I change them whenever they start to feel a bit dead/dull. Normally every 3 months or so (I have 6 guitars and honestly don't play them often enough!)
Always put new strings on for recording anything serious though.

While recording: when they lose their zing (usually once a day).
While noodling around: changing strings? I thought those things were permanent!

If only rehearsing with the band...a couple of months, when the lack of tension becomes a problem.
If there are any gigs, the week after.
Recording? everyday if possible.

Always before recording anything serious. If I'm just recording demo ideas at home I don't worry about it. Other than that, when they start to feel dead. Always the day before a gig.

Ugggghhh my hands sweat so bad while I'm playing. I change at least every day while recording or on tour. If just noodling at home, once a week-ish. My hands are caustic hahaha.

Hahah, my hands are pretty damn dry, so my strings sound fresh as long as needed (a month or so, then I change them anyways). However, when someone plays my guitars, the strings die pretty fast, it's really irritating, cos I have to behave like a dick, never allowing anyone to touch my guitars when they are set up:) I mostly use Daddarios these days. It was so much easier when I was on Elixirs:)

The things are even worse with basses. I love steel strings, and I love them being fucking bright!

For guitar, every couple of months if I've just been playing at home.

I play bass in a band and I change the strings a little less often than guitar. Maybe once every 3 months? I wish I could change them more often, tho. Old strings on bass can really make the greatest bass sound like a $150 Squier, but bass strings are usually quite a bit more expensive. :(

If I'm recording anything serious, I try to slap on a fresh pack of strings for every song.

From my personal experience a set of strings looses that zing in about 4 or 5 hours. I would change them out once every show when gigging but we played long sets.

Everyone I have met in the biz "Live Giggin" has agreed that strings really only last a night.

They could last longer but for serious gigging this is what I have noticed.

This, This, This, This, This:
p9111.jpg

Apply to each string, then take a cloth and pick up each string individually pinching with the cloth around it and rub along the length of the string.

Takes like 99% of the finger gunk/grease/crud off making your strings feel almost brand new. Improves brightness a bit too. Definitely not as good as changing strings, but its a cheap easy way to get all the crud off.

Also Ive found if you are at home and it's possible, washing your hands before you play helps. I really only do this if I sit down and I feel like my hands are greasy/dirty

Also Ive found if you are at home and it's possible, washing your hands before you play helps.

+1, I always do that too. Makes quite a bit of a difference in the long run. Even clean hands get oily by nature, so it's a good practice to get accustomed too.

Btw, a friend of mine uses some kind of stringcleaner too, but I think it makes his strings feel weird. Like they are "squeeky", for lack of better words :D I don't know if it's just that particular cleaner, or if he doesn't rub it down well enough though.

One tip hasn't been mentioned yet. For bass you can also boil your used strings for 10-20 minutes and then dry them clean with a blanket or something. The strings will sound as if they were bought new. This usually works 3-5 times til they get really dead. I always buy two packs of strings and use them alternately. That's a great thing when you are playing many gigs in a row, saves you a lot of money. For studio work though I would buy a pack of new ones. Just for my conscience, haha...