How has the internet affected your musical taste?

Nefilim

Rotten undead buccaneer
I am writing an essay on hard rock and heavy metal, and I'm trying to find out how the internet has affected sub-cultural groups (i.e. metal fans) in their taste, style and similar preferences. Have you for example found a lot of new influences through the web, have you changed your style, have you made a lot of new acquaintances in your preferred genre etc?

I am really interested in knowing as much as possible as this, so feel free to tell me all about it :) Your answers will of course be anonymous.

Thanks in advance!

/ Nef

Glad to help you :d Well, first let's have a thesis: "The internet has been my single-most influential factor as far as affecting my musical taste goes". ;) Right, let's see how. Well, I discovered metal through the internet, before which I totally rejected it. Well, there really wasn't any metal influence in Nepal. I discovered Gamma Ray by accident from UM and downloaded a song (live version of 'Heal Me') and fell in love with this new kind of music that was entirely unknown to me. I was, ofcourse, a mainstream listner (letting the TV rule what I should listen to and like). As you have probably guessed, no one I knew had heard of Gamma Ray (and no one else till now, expect the ones I introduced them to). But this changed my life. Literally. The metal lifestyle just taught me I could do my own thing and let the world revolve around me, they too doing their own thing.
Through Gamma Ray, my interest for powermetal grew, and it is so strong by now that I now have my own solo-project called Atlantis! Without the internet, I could never have been this strong, and I've never have had Atlantis ;). Now powermetal has become my life, and though it's still unknown to almost everyone in my country, I've visualised to one day have a strong powermetal scene here. How else, without the internet, would I get to listen to Gamma Ray, Helloween, Iron Savior, Heavenly, Blind Guardian, Edguy and other awesome bands.
To find the CDs of these bands would be nightmare here. Thanks to friends abroad
(thanks to the internet again), I have been getting CDs (mp3s, thanks Bob!), even original CDs (thanks to Sylvia), and some promotional CDs from Sanctuary Records. So I depend entirely on the internet for my music. lol ofcourse I sound like a geek :d (lol i am! lol!). On those rare occasions, I might see a Gamma Ray CD (always in singular numbers) or Iron Savior, under which circumstances I feel great (even if they're all pirated ones).

This is my story, and so people like me in parts around the world not exposed the joys of metal have to rely heavily on the internet. And a very interesting topic for an essay. Good luck Nefilim, and I don't mind revealing my name (which is Parimal Satyal). (lol, i know, i'm a cheesy geek who listens, plays and composes or sings powermetal all day long, regardless of the fact that he's alone physically on that realm... and is out for getting his name heard).
Thanks for reading, hope this helps - good luck!! :D

Well, since ^ seemed to really answer this one well, I will not go as thoroughly in depth as he did. The internet HAs affected me a lot in my gorwing, and boadening of my musical taste in metal and other styles though. Because of the things like streaming MP3's, streaming concerts and such, I am able to find out what a band is liek without having to go out and purchase their cD, only to be discouraged from doing so again because it sucked, or because it jsut wasn't my thing. I have found that since the ability to find out a lot about bands, and being able to search for particular genres online, it makes discovering new bands easier, especially bands that have n other form of advertisment because they are not signed to a record label.

The internet hasn't really affected on my taste in music 'cause I pretty much listen to all kinds of good stuff (mostly metal) but it has made things more easier when ever I wanna check out a new band, read latest heavy metal related news, listen to some mp3's and so on. :)

It has opened up a world to many people who had no access to it before... Just because it was there does not mean that everyone had access to it

I've been into metal much longer than the world wide web has been around... though the internet has greatly increased the scope of metal I listen to, I still listen to many of the bands I liked before the internet, and my musical tastes haven't really been changed. I'm 35, and liked Death Metal back in the early 90's before the www became popular, and I found most of my music by trial and error.

The internet makes this trial and error much easier and cheaper. Most of the cds I've bought in the last 3 or 4 years have been because I listened to it beforehand.

I definitely believe the internet has broadened my musical horizons. Either I have friends that like the same bands I do and introduce me to new ones, such as a friend who liked Blind Guardian and got me into Therion, or I will search sites for cds or mp3s and it will have a thing that said "People who like such and such a band also liked so and so" and I'll listen to the "so and so" bands and say "Hey, they're pretty cool" or I'll randomly browse people's file sharing directories and find interesting things. There are lots of different ways the net has fed good metal music to me!

COBSteele02 said:
No I buy tons of cds man, I support the bands I like.

What I meant was. I hated all the music played on the radio, untill I found true metal on the internet.

Ahhh... had me going there for a minute... we are on the same boat it seems... thei nternet has opened up a lot for me by way of musical horizons being broadened

I knew of some bands (Namely Opeth, Hypocrisy, Immortal, Emperor, Morbid Angel, etc...you know, all those "bigger" names in extreme metal) before I ever decided to search for things on the internet, those bands also inspired me to search for more music similar to them, and here I am :)

I went from a Rock/Blues guy to a Classical/Folk/Metal thanks to the internet, and I am a much happier man now.

Hey fellas, thanks for all of your input, I'm sure it will come to great use in my essay!
Unfortunately, the essay will be in swedish, so unless you're a fast learner I doubt you will enjoy it Parimal2k29. :(

Once again, thanks to you all so far, more comments are welcome!