How have I only just heard of Avantasia?

Jibrille

Mar 1, 2005
Albany NY
I was browsing through the metal section at the local shop and ran accross the two Avantasia albums. It's been playing almost nonstop on my iPod since I got the CDs on Monday.

What do you all think about this project? For anyone else who might now know. It was a project from Tobias Sammet, the vocalist of Edguy. Michael Kiske, Kai Hansen, Sharon den Adel, Timo Tolkki, André Matos, and many others guest on the two album project. First album was released in 2000 and second in 2002.
It's a shame it seems to be limited to those 2 albums. Would love to see more stuff like this out of him. For some reason, I'm always really drawn to music projects like this. Probably something to do with me also being an avid Broadway musical fan.
Also, any more stuff like this I should know about? I already am a huge Ayreon fan and have all the Aina stuff. I wasn't really able to get that into Aina though there were some really good songs here and there. Those are the two major ones I can think of that are reaccuring. Also have heard some one time albums but the names aren't coming to me.

If you were following the scene around the time they came out, it would have been hard to miss the hype. Those are two of the best power metal albums of all time on almost anyone's list.

It rocks. It rules. How'd you miss it? Uh, you say you're from NY..is that Malone, NY? LOL.
Have you listened to the Genius project? Checked out some Shamen?
Surely you're all over the Space One project? One of the best damn dvd's I've ever owned.

Jibrille said:
It's a shame it seems to be limited to those 2 albums.

Was it ever announced that there would be no more Avantasia projects? Perhaps I missed that info. But either way, they put out those 2 discs in 2001 and 2002, so if they never said anything about not doing another, it's not like its been that long. Between all those guys I'm sure they are very busy.

It's funny that you posted this because I too just picked this up. I think it's pretty solid, although not in the same league as the best of the Ayreon albums ("The Human Equation" being one of my top 20 discs of all time).

NP: IQ "Dark Matter"

I learned about Avantasia at PP III when Edguy played the title track from the first one. I liked that song better than most of the others in Edguy's set so I hit the vendors and bought a copy that weekend. I did play it over and over. I don't like Part 2 as much as Part 1, but it's still fairly strong.

Ken

Both are good, but Part 1 is a Top 50 album for me and definitely better than Part 2. (And both are definitely better than The Human Overhype ... I mean, The Human Disappointment ... I mean, The Human Equation.)

Jibrille said:
I was browsing through the metal section at the local shop and ran accross the two Avantasia albums. It's been playing almost nonstop on my iPod since I got the CDs on Monday.

What do you all think about this project? For anyone else who might now know. It was a project from Tobias Sammet, the vocalist of Edguy. Michael Kiske, Kai Hansen, Sharon den Adel, Timo Tolkki, André Matos, and many others guest on the two album project. First album was released in 2000 and second in 2002.
It's a shame it seems to be limited to those 2 albums. Would love to see more stuff like this out of him. For some reason, I'm always really drawn to music projects like this. Probably something to do with me also being an avid Broadway musical fan.
Also, any more stuff like this I should know about? I already am a huge Ayreon fan and have all the Aina stuff. I wasn't really able to get that into Aina though there were some really good songs here and there. Those are the two major ones I can think of that are reaccuring. Also have heard some one time albums but the names aren't coming to me.

GOOD QUESTION! How have you just heard of the Avantasia set?

adaher said:
If you were following the scene around the time they came out, it would have been hard to miss the hype. Those are two of the best power metal albums of all time on almost anyone's list.

I'd have to disagree with that (about them being the best power metal albums of all time on almost anyone's list). I feel that both Vain Glory Opera and Theater of Salvation were better than both Av. albums. I love Av. 1, but not part 2 really. It's ok but nothing super awesome. I can think of a lot of PM albums that would rank higher than Avantasia.

Some other projects like this are Abydos by the singer of Vanden Plas and Missa Mercuria which features DC Cooper, and then there is Aina which is fricking awesome.

Yeah, I've got Aina, Genius, and the Star One stuff. I've probably given Genius a once through and was a bit dissapointed. However, I had started listening to a lot of new stuff at that time I heard the album which often causes me to put something on the shelf before I give it a real chance. Will have to check out Abydos.
I think I'll contribute not hearing these albums to sometimes living under a rock and also not really being a fan of Edguy. Nothing of theirs has just really struck a chord with me. Will have to try listening to Edguy again sometime soon, though.

rockyracoon said:
Was it ever announced that there would be no more Avantasia projects? Perhaps I missed that info. But either way, they put out those 2 discs in 2001 and 2002, so if they never said anything about not doing another, it's not like its been that long. Between all those guys I'm sure they are very busy.

I was reading up on it and what I saw suggested that he wrote it as a two parter and the project is completed. I guess it kind of ends with a cliffhanger so there could be more one day. Tobias's person site is being renovated so I don't know if there's anything on this subject to say if it's for sure or not. Personally, I don't care if he doesn't continue THIS story. I would just love to see something like this out of him again. Can easily be a different story with different singers musicians.

Tobias has consistently said that there will not be a 3rd Avantasia. It is done. He felt the time was right to do it then, and he did it. He's left it open that maybe he'll do another solo album/project again one day, but only if he feels like doing it. So 99% chance Avantasia is history *Always that 1%*

Avantasia is alright, nothing to slit your wrists to but funny if you like average Euro power metal.

Majesty - 'Fight Forever'

Jibrille said:
For some reason, I'm always really drawn to music projects like this. Probably something to do with me also being an avid Broadway musical fan.
Also, any more stuff like this I should know about?

Actually, I just discovered Edguy this year, so I’m REALLY behind the times. I love this type of project as well -- Avantasia is on my “stuff to buy” list.

Other favorite CDs in a similar vein include anything by Ayreon or Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and also Nikolo Kotzev’s “Nostradamus” – which features some great vocals from Jorn as The Inquisitor and Joe Lynn Turner as Nostradamus. (I would have liked to have heard more JLT on the CD, though).