AVANTASIA is back!

mtndewqueen88

Mark the Music
Aug 24, 2004
Atlanta
Despite past comments to the contrary, it appears that Edguy mastermind Tobias Sammet has not only decided to record a new Avantasia album but he's already begun recording it! A posting on TobiasSammet.net reads as follows:

We have just received the following statement from Tobias Sammet:

“I've heard rumors going around and - yes - they're true. Quite some time ago I've started working on another Avantasia adventure! Again it's going to be a conceptual album with different musicians and singers. More about it from now on at this site The Official Tobias Sammet.com !. You ask why I am doing it? Because I can! Because I am dying to go for it! And because the time has come that I feel ready and strong enough to start something big, bombastic and monumental again! Believe me: you won't find any other man on the face of the earth who has got more work and stress right now - and who's yet as happy as I am. It's so exciting to see another dream of mine take shape. I wish you a successful year 2007 and - most important - I wish you happiness, health and a lot of good sex!”

Sammet has previously released two Avantasia albums, The Metal Opera, Part I (2001) and Part II (2002). In 2004, responding to a fan question about a future Avantasia release, Sammet said:

“There is so much work to do, I always want to make sure that whatever I do — I give my best and try to release only great stuff. Now, if I would focus on too many things I couldn't guarantee it anymore. You should always follow your heart and only do things if you feel that you really want to do it. By the way: that's the reason, why there is no Edguy DVD available so far. 'Cause we wait until the time is right and until we can guarantee that it's a high-quality product that we can give to you. At the moment another Avantasia album wouldn't be a challenge for me as I do not feel I have to do it from the bottom of my heart. It would be good for my wallet maybe, but that's it. And no matter what people think: so far I had the luxury to be able to only do what I really want to do, not paying too much attention to the money thing. So I do not know, maybe in ten years I will do something like Avantasia again, I do not know. But if I do it one day, I do it because I really want to do it (or if I ended living under a bridge). At the moment there's many things to fight for with my Edguy buddies...”

MetalReviews.com has confirmed that Sammet is not currently living under a bridge.

----
Courtesy of one of my favorite metal websites, Welcome to METAL REVIEWS
I've been meaning to purchase the Avantasia epics for a while now. This may be the motivation I've needed. What do you all think?

This is great news!!! I'm sure many of us thought this would happen, even despite comments to the contrary.

Tobias changed his tune about never making another one a while ago, even going so far as to saying it would happen eventually. His old excuse was "I'll make Avantasia Pt. 3 when Helloween make Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 3" and well, we all know what happened. :lol:

Another comment about the press release though: “I've heard rumors going around and - yes - they're true." -- Has there ever been a rumor about Edguy that wasn't started by Tobias himself? :lol:

Makes sense, seeing as how Edguy has gone in a different direction. Now they are two very distinct musical projects, whereas before Avantasia was just a more majestic and epic Edguy.

I'm really happy to hear this, as Avantasia is one of the coolest projects ever.

I'll be looking forward to hear it. I'm really curious which singers he'll have. The last two was almost a Who's Who in power metal. If he chooses a whole new batch, it should have a very different sound.

Steve in Philly

It'll be interesting for sure on the singers. Arjen from Ayreon had a good point in one interview how he always wants his albums with many singers to have each one be a distinct voice. He stated something to the effect how there's other multi-singer projects where you cannot tell the difference between the singer unless you're reading it in the booklet.

I think that was the only fault of Avantasia. To an unknowning ear, Kiske (Ernie!) sounded just like Sammet. And the others were close too with a few exceptions...

I cannot wait for this though!

It'll be interesting for sure on the singers. Arjen from Ayreon had a good point in one interview how he always wants his albums with many singers to have each one be a distinct voice. He stated something to the effect how there's other multi-singer projects where you cannot tell the difference between the singer unless you're reading it in the booklet.

I think that was the only fault of Avantasia. To an unknowning ear, Kiske (Ernie!) sounded just like Sammet. And the others were close too with a few exceptions...

I've noticed that but it doesn't bug me. I think partially because I generally don't listen to Avantasia as a story. I love the individual songs but don't care as much for the story. Then again, maybe that has something to do with not being able to tell the difference between the characters of the story.
Either way, I can't wait. I had the beginning part of The Tower as my ringtone for quite some time this year until it got replaced by Afro Gunsou. Now I can look forward to the next Ayreon & Avantasia albums.

Update:

EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet has tapped KISS/ALICE COOPER drummer Eric Singer to play on the upcoming third installment of his solo project AVANTASIA.

"We've recorded the drums in Hamburg at Vox Klangstudio, where we recorded the drums of EDGUY's 'Hellfire Club' too," says Sammet. "Great room, great equipment!

"Eric is a killer drummer and a cool guy to work with. It is really exciting to hear his interpretation of European-style metal. It definitely adds something fresh and unique to the sound, mainly because he's got a different approach to that kind of music. And although he doesn't do it with ALICE COOPER, KISS and SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS' solo band: There IS fast double-bass shit on AVANTASIA, and Eric did a great job!!! You'll hear it, it's fantastic.

"Anyway, listening to the material so far I can really say that even though the new AVANTASIA will be a different conceptual story, the ambition remains the same: To create something epic and big! Or how Eric put it, 'Let's make some kewl music!' No doubt, the spirit of AVANTASIA is there — in every note."

Check out a picture of Singer and Sammet in the recording studio at this location.

AVANTASIA's last release was the two-part epic called "The Metal Opera" (issued in 2001 and 2002), which featured an impressive array of guest vocalists playing the various characters of the opera, including Michael Kiske (ex-HELLOWEEN), David DeFeis (VIRGIN STEELE), Sharon Den Adel (WITHIN TEMPTATION), Kai Hansen (GAMMA RAY), André Matos (ANGRA, SHAAMAN), Timo Tolkki (STRATOVARIUS), Rob Rock (WARRIOR), and others.

For more information on AVANTASIA, visit The Official Tobias Sammet.com !.