How is that Vocal Sound done (Whitechapel)

Timmm3

New Metal Member
Apr 13, 2009
Hi,
i am a Metal Vocalist and i normally figure out how to do a special sound with my voice but

i cannot do this one special thing phil Bozeman from Whitechapel does.
So i thought, perhaps that comes from an effect or something
What i mean is for example hearable at "Eternal Refuge" time 2:47 with the vocals
"I assure everything isn't what it seems to be"

So is that an effect, mic technique, or really just a growl technique.

I have watched this is exile studio video here:

And what the? What kind of mic construction is this?
Please explain that to me because i´ve never seen something like this before.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a vocal technique, nothing to do with the mic. I don't know how to describe it since I'm not really a vocalist, but the technique is pretty similar to the "pig squeal" that a lot of bands in the genre use. You basically have to constrict your throat, and force a lot of air through. Some guys will inhale it, but that will fuck of your vocal cords in a hurry.

Someone else who can do it explain haha!

I recorded a band who recorded with the dude who did the White Chapel CD (it's Johnny Faye, the old guitarist of Red Chord) They told me about some of his techniques, specifically stuff he did for the White Chapel CD
There's a lot of pitch shifting going on with the White Chapel vocals on the record, probably just post fx from plugins, and it starts to sound really really garbly at times from the mastering process. I had a couple CDs mastered by Zeuss (he mastered that CD) and the owner of the label I did work for was asking him about the White Chapel CD as well and said that the mix was totally blown out, so the master is just brickwalled like crazy and that effected the vocal sound on the final version. Just compress the fuck out of your vocals and add stereo widened pitch shifted copies underneath that are also compressed to fuckery. you'll get close.

I recorded a band who recorded with the dude who did the White Chapel CD (it's Johnny Faye, the old guitarist of Red Chord) They told me about some of his techniques, specifically stuff he did for the White Chapel CD
There's a lot of pitch shifting going on with the White Chapel vocals on the record, probably just post fx from plugins, and it starts to sound really really garbly at times from the mastering process. I had a couple CDs mastered by Zeuss (he mastered that CD) and the owner of the label I did work for was asking him about the White Chapel CD as well and said that the mix was totally blown out, so the master is just brickwalled like crazy and that effected the vocal sound on the final version. Just compress the fuck out of your vocals and add stereo widened pitch shifted copies underneath that are also compressed to fuckery. you'll get close.

Is this what you tried on And Hell Followed With vocals? :erk:

thanks to all!!

and chonchball,

When you do stuff like that what do you do exactly - i mean "stereo widened pitch shifted copies underneath" .
pitch shifted one note or more?

please tell me more about that.

and what other cool stuff can i do with my vocs?

THNAKSSS

Yeah just sounds like stereo widening and like... split harmonization or some shit.
No way you can get 2 totally intelligable "notes" in that sort of way with your voice box alone, just isn't happening. It's possible to get a sorta, overtone of a second note as I can do that myself, but that sounds totally computerised (in a good way i might add, but computerised none the less.)

whats split harmoziation?
ANd what doo you mean with "voice box".
Can you send me a scream/growl of you where you did this thing you said:
" overtone of a second note as I can do that myself, but that sounds totally computerised (in a good way i might add, but computerised none the less"

dont know what you mean with that...

No problem, 3AM posts happen (for example, most of my good ones) - but throat singing, done by people who have been working at it their whole lives, sounds pretty damned 'fake' as far as being strange and completely unusual.

Jeff

the way hes done it is actually a sneaky way of puttin a shit load of bass in ur voice using "false chord" screaming, its bascially using ur "false" vocal chords to put a melodic note underneath ur scream, its the same technique used by people like oli sykes (bmth) or micha kinard (oh sleeper)
it bascially allows you to almost scream a pitched note, hes just chosen a really low, bassy note, and then most likely double tracked it, doing that can pad out the sound of ur vocals making them sound really thick which u need to do when ur working with 3 guitars, he does it a lot sometimes combining highs and lows, giving it a really grindcore sound on the vocals or often just doubling up to make it sound lower, double the low voice and pan one a little left and the other a little right it almost seems twice as low, sneaky lil techniques to make ur recording sound more beefy
to do it live just cup the mic head with ur first two fingers and press ur top finger just under ur nose, that bascially cuts out more of the high frequency in ur voice and if u open the back of ur throat up at the same time that allows for massive ressonance to make u sound louder and deeper. Phil does change his posture on stage a lot as well, bending over for lows opens ur throat and tipping ur head back very slightly opens ur wind pipe for better projection for higher screams

To me it just sounds like a low inhaled growl. It's probably been multitracked too, because I notice a lot of Bozeman's parts have him doing a high scream and a low growl at the same time, in this case it could have been 2 or 3 takes of the low one just to get it sounding huge. But to me it sounds just like a low pitched inhale, so as someone above said, constrict your vocal chords and pitch low. Sorry I can't describe it any better, I can do them but I never got too far into the definitions of different types of screams, nor did I ever get extremely deep with technique (just learned enough to get me by) so I can't explain it that well :lol: