How is The Moor screwed up?

KjeXXXer

Let there be Opeth
Dec 7, 2005
west Norway
So I was reading the faq the other day.
I read the part where Mike explains how it got fucked and shit. Then I listen to The Moor, real careful-like.

IT'S FUCKING SPOTLESS.

What is the thing here?:Smug:

They're all over the place. There's a ton on the right channel at around 5:31. Throughout that entire section the right channel keeps ducking in and out.

There's also a really great one at 5:52 of Moonlapse Vertigo, smack-bam in the middle of Peter's solo.

o_O

The channel dropouts are really obvious. How can you not hear them? I thought this was going to be another thread about the mysterious cough or something. Just put on it headphones and you'll hear it easily.

I guess if you don't know what you are listening for you might miss them...but once you notice them, they are incredibly obvious.

(heh the first time i noticed it i thought it was my speaker system fucking up. Took me a while to click that it was the O)

I just listened to check when exactly they happen, and here's some:

5:00 - 5:10 right channel drops out a few times
5:27 - 5:50 right channel drops out a whole bunch of times

If you listen with a good pair of headphones you should be able to tell the sound from the right one getting weaker when the dropouts occur. It sounds a lot like the sound you get when you don't put your headphone plug in all the way.

Moonlapse said:
They're all over the place. There's a ton on the right channel at around 5:31. Throughout that entire section the right channel keeps ducking in and out.

There's also a really great one at 5:52 of Moonlapse Vertigo, smack-bam in the middle of Peter's solo.

Spot on.

I think if one listened to SL when super drunk, you could get quite disorientated due to balance problems while walking (induced by SL production botches).

Still though - best f'ing Opeth album there is imo. Damn masterpiece.

CAIRATH said:
o_O

The channel dropouts are really obvious. How can you not hear them? I thought this was going to be another thread about the mysterious cough or something. Just put on it headphones and you'll hear it easily.

Mysterious cough?

RjBeals said:
Yeah, and Mike swears it was real late in the studio and there was nobody else there that could have made the cough.... strange.... BOO!
Hah, we've been having pest problems in the house. I seriously thought your signature was a few bugs or moths flying in front of the screen. I didn't whap it but I almost thought of doing so.

But yeah in relation to the thread... noticeable faults. I remember listening to it one day on the TV, right side screwed up so I put it on headphones, right side screwed up, so I came to the forum to talk about it. That was like YEARS ago though. Crazy. :) This thread brings back memories.

The Hubster said:
Spot on.

I think if one listened to SL when super drunk, you could get quite disorientated due to balance problems while walking (induced by SL production botches).

Still though - best f'ing Opeth album there is imo. Damn masterpiece.

Amen. It could play friggin dropout pong on the left to right channels for all I care, it still doesn't undermine the genius of the album.

I'd heard of such things happening in the moor and moonlapse vertigo, but NEVER noticed them, until last week when I was listening to the moor and all of a sudden the right channel went like, half-out, and I assumed it was my speaker cable getting bumped (cause roughly the same thing happens) and then it wasn't and I was like OH. ;_;