How Low Should i Go?

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
heyah dudes,

i'm kinda pondering about my low end, kick and bass especially..

i got some pretty good results with having the bassguitars definition around 60/65 and the kick around 110/170 maybe (so actually cutting some of its "around 60 hz" area, keeps its from cluttering/ruling the mix imo)

both my kick and bass are pretty scooped btw.. just lots of low and and some high end for definition.
(allthough i also tend to lowpass the bass alot when i can..)

and how far would you let the guitars go? obviously it shouldn't interfere with the kick but its go's pretty well with bass around 60 if you multiband/eq both well imo.

i just lose to much "schrrooommmmppphhh" :loco: when i high pass guitar to about 80.:erk:

so i'm realy interested in what do you guys usually do.

Seizure. said:
heyah dudes,
i'm kinda pondering about my low end, kick and bass especially..
i got some pretty good results with having the bassguitars definition around 60/65 and the kick around 110/170 maybe (so actually cutting some of its "around 60 hz" area, keeps its from cluttering/ruling the mix imo)
both my kick and bass are pretty scooped btw.. just lots of low and and some high end for definition.
(allthough i also tend to lowpass the bass alot when i can..)
and how far would you let the guitars go? obviously it shouldn't interfere with the kick but its go's pretty well with bass around 60 if you multiband/eq both well imo.
i just lose to much "schrrooommmmppphhh" :loco: when i high pass guitar to about 80.:erk:
so i'm realy interested in what do you guys usually do.

Well, we obviously have different philosophy's on this but for what it's worth...I usually like the fundamental sound of the kick around 80-120 hz. I'll often do a slight cut around there on the bass so they don't fight each other. I usually high pass the kick at around 40 hz or so to cut out stuff I don't need. I basically always high pass the guitars around 80 - 100 hz because I don't think you need that either. I want the bass to define the low end, but I want alot of midrange in the bass to give it definition and presence in the mix as well. When you say you low-pass the bass, where do you do that? I don't think I would ever do that unless I was talking about over 8k or somewhere way up there. Also, I actually don't want too much of anything happening at or below 60 hz. Especially not guitars.