How many fingers...

ShredManWalking

Hit man for the Order
Dec 5, 2002
Kent State University
listen.to
Okay, this is a question for all you bassists. :wave:
I've been playing guitar for ten years. However, I am now a bass player in a progressive metal band. This was the only way for me to play this style in a band, because I have not found interested, dedicated musicians who like the stuff until now. (They already have a guitar player! Oh, well. I'll just keep shredding anyway, practicing in my room...) To tighten my right hand up, the band has me working on some Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Fates Warning and Queensryche stuff, as well as tons of their originals... I am comfortable using two fingers on my right hand, but I hear Steve Harris from Maiden uses three for his galloping bass-lines. I also hear that the bassist of Iced Earth uses all four... I have tried with all of these, and fell equally comfortable. What is the most efficient?

Well, I haven't really heard anyone use 4 fingers before (the pinky is not only much shorter but weaker than the other fingers) but 3 seems to be the most efficient way of playing bass. I'd suggest getting John Myung's instructional video. A bass player friend of mine showed it to me once and he talks a lot about his right hand technique.

The Myung video is pretty good if you're into scales and such. It also covers some good finger techniques. (heheee, finger techniques... :D )

And Steve Harris uses only two fingers. Check any Maiden live video or video, I believe he has also said so himself in an interview.

Four fingers on the plucking hand is most commonly used by jazz and funk players, but if you were to take the time to learn this technique, it would be well worth it in rock and metal alike. For one, you would find that your hand becomes less tired after playing. Reason being is because you've taken half the playing time away from the most predominantly used index and middle fingers. It took me about six months to a year to really get control and feel that I had mastered it.

I learned by the taping method, which is first doing little exercises with the plucking hand where you move one finger trying not to move the others to gain better control, and then after doing that a few months, using tape in four different combonations (1.middle two fingers taped together, using the first against the second and third 2.next tape index and middle together, concentrating on the ring finger 3.then, tape the same as the first time, but use your pinky to play 4.finally index-middle taped as well as ring and pinky and walk like you would with two fingers

This, if practised religiously, could be done in six months, but don't try to over do it. Take you time, unless you're striving to be a bass-god in a hurry.

I first learned several years ago by stumbling onto some internet site, but, after searching for it, it could no longer be found. I'm sure you could find a video or book or something at a bass site somewhere's.

Good luck!

I personally like 2 fingers with the rare exception of 3 (4 seems unnecissary to me), but mainly two because i have more controll over where they go and how fast... i could build up my 3rd finger as well, but i can play well with the two. also, if you think you are slow by yourself, just play with other people. When you get adrenaline going and the music is fast, you WILL surprise yourself. We played metallica's four horsemen, but at Mechanix speed and during a live show we played it FASTER and i just flew through it... it was awesome. Oh, and we played harder stuff than that, but that's an example.

Using four fingers has nothing to do with speed, as far as fast playing is concerned. It's all about versatility. Skipping strings and playing chords, the possibilities are endless when you use all of your fingers on bass. Yes, all ten.

I use as many fingers as I need. Primarily though, I use only 2 or 3. (Mainly 3). Sometimes I will use 4 fingers, but not that often. As for most efficient, just use whatever works for you man. If you get by on just 2 fingers, then good on ya. Who says u have to use 3 or 4? I just find it a hell of a lot easier using more.

Cheers.

go to http://www.garywillis.com, he has some bass lessons, although he uses a non standard technique: he plays with his hand layed out as a fingerpicking hand in guitar. another non standard technique i've seen is the one of Igor Saavedra http://www.bajoigorsaavedra.cl, a chilean who plays with his thumb as a pick (
confused.gif
), but using also the other 3 main fingers (dont know if he uses the fourth). With this technique he has been able to play sextuplets(?) at 200 bps, which is quite fast if you ask.
BTW, both of them are jazz players

Hey, thanks guys! This has really helped. As of now I am working on my own personal tone and technique... However, I do something that is frowned upon by some of my bassist friends. I have grown out the nails on my plucking fingers, and it gets me a very thick, clunky sound. I use nail hardener (girls give me funny looks :D ) as to prevent my nails from chipping. Am I the only one who uses fingernails to enhance tone? What do you guys think of this?