How many people actually use the tubescreamer??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
It sounds awesome but i cant find a happy medium for recording?? Its either way fizzy or it seems not enough?? Then again i use the one on my POD so i dont know?? Just getting some advice :kickass:

Yeah real tubescreamer by far. And I always use one, live or recording. Well no I take that back. My Soldano doesn't really need one, but as far as differences in the pod ts and real ts. The Pod ts has a weird midhump that I do not dig. Tubescreamers have that either way but the one on the POD is just really I don't know......not good to my ears.

LOL Think so?
Whats the difference

Look at it this way; do the POD ampsims sound/behave exactly like the Real amps? Probably not really, so why would the TS emulation sound/behave exactly like the Real TS? I tried the gt-8 (different beast I know) TS before I got my 808 and its effect wasn't anywhere near the real thing. Real>Sim.

I use the PODxt for recording, and can say confidently that the tube screamer there sounds very much like the boss SD-1, which I also own. I've done direct comparisons, and the difference is quite subtle.

I use to record with the tubescreamer all the time, but not on my recent stuff. In terms of getting a good tone out of it, I can pass along some advice from Piet Sielck (Iron Savior, Savage Circus) who uses it, along with a POD 2.0, on his guitar work. To avoid fizzyness he keeps the drive at 0% and just plays around with the gain and tone dials, and takes out some frequencies around 15k.

I actually don't use a tube screamer. I don't own a TS9, TS808, OD808, OD820, or TS7.

I own:
An Ibanez TK999
A modified DS-1 (heavily modified)
A modified BD-2
A modified MT-2 (again heavily modified)

I am seriously considering trading in my dd-6 and vox wah for a nice 808 though since I never use wah anymore these days or delay (although delay is a little more useful).

Some amps need one as much as their tubes. Like the Recti.

Some don't need it at all. Like most Engls.

They're always convenient to have around and the sims reach from pretty spot on to pretty much useless.

I own (and use) a Keeley modded TS808 reissue, and a Maxon OD820 and OD808 in studio and live with my 5150 II. I don't use any pedals with my ENGL e530, though.

Yep, like the guys said, with some amps, it makes a big difference, but some amps don't really need one.

A Rectifier+a boost = :worship:

Actually, even though ENGL's are often considered to be amps that don't require a boost, I still like the Invader more when boosted. Maybe it's because of the slight mid hump the OD808 brings.

It doesen't need one to tighten it up though!

Depends on the amp and what tone you're after. If the amp has diode clipping than I find it doesn't need it

Hopefully this isnt hijacking the thread, but has anyone ever used one of these to tighten up a Recto?

Ibanez Metal Screamer:

Ibanez%20Metal%20Screamer%201.JPG

Ive heard they are pretty close to a tube screamer.

I use a custom (self-built) TS on as many amps as I can get away with it on. I've tweaked it up to provide the midhump in a more recording-friendly region, and otherwise be a cleaner and more transparent pedal - retaining more of the original tone, but tighter.

There are some amps, like a ton of ENGLs that tend to work better without a boost. The way their preamp channels are set up, they essentially already have the bandpass effect of a TS in there. Throwing a TS before these is a great way to get your tone to mud-central.

I wouldn't use a digital emulation of a TS if I could get away with it. It essentially defeats the point as it doesn't have the same level-pushed preamp clipping/saturation effect of the real deal. Half of the charm of the TS is the way it interacts with the amp.