What do YOU use automation for??

Do you guys ride your controls and record your automation in real time or do you draw it in? Or ride the controls and then manually fine tune it afterwards? I just have a hard time riding the volume fader in real time word by word on a vocal track trying to get it to the right level :/ ReaComp FTW for this n00b, haha...

for me it depends on the part really....

for level stuff ill normally listen through the song and draw in a different level depending on what it needs, and then just go back a few bars and check its alright. its basically a case of running over each part a couple of times to make sure its right, and also accurate.

with fx stuff i normally drag the knobs and faders and record it like that, sometimes finetuning the lines afterwards with pencil.

i use the control surface for pt or the ssl4k when avail, for overall rides i would rather do them in real time, then pencil any detailed edits in pt and fine tune the curves to my liking. i feel i get a better balance to the song if i do the first fades in rt and fine tune the overall parameters with the mouse..... automation is a big part to how i mix...

- when gating doesn't seem to work, I'll automate out guitar noises during stops
- some tracks'll have parts I just want lower/louder - even though they were recorded at the same volume, some parts just seem too low.
- if I only want delay on the end phrase of vocals, I'll automate the delay to just happen during the last line of vox
- fade ins/fade outs of final songs
- might have a count-in I need to cut out

recently I wanted a fade out of a guitar note to go on at the same time with a fade in "guitar feedback" from a keyboard. then I wanted the fake feedback to actually get louder like it was building in intensity (much like out of control real feedback probably would).

stuff like that. since I don't have a DAW exterior controller, I just program the automation to do it.

i pencil in automation. I`ll usually loop the part that im automating, and pencil till i get it right. but i would love to get a control surface! its def. on the top of my list as far as hardware is concerned!
adam: where can i check out your tunes bro? im getting a brutal metal band together, and getting a show set up in peterborough. I thought maybe you guys could play? PM me if your interested!

i pencil in automation. I`ll usually loop the part that im automating, and pencil till i get it right. but i would love to get a control surface! its def. on the top of my list as far as hardware is concerned!
adam: where can i check out your tunes bro? im getting a brutal metal band together, and getting a show set up in peterborough. I thought maybe you guys could play? PM me if your interested!

Not playing in a band really right now unfortunately! Thanks for the offer though bro!

your from cambridge right? maybe we could hook up for a jam sometime? have some cocktails! I`m down there for shows occasionally.
anyways, if you get something going, drop me a line and we could set something up...

edit... seen your location hahaha

Almost none :lol: I just don't really know how yet. Only things I do are that I'll sometimes turn different parts down or up, e.g. when fx pedals are used. I really need to start learning it soon!

How do automate in Reaper? ¯\(°_o)/¯

I'm actually discovering automation more and more, as I read more on it's many uses. I've always used it for FX and such when doing techno/dance music, but now I'm starting to integrate it into my metal stuff aswell.