Automation In Metal

Yeah man, take a listen to the vocals on Testament's 'The Gathering'. There's some crazy delay automation going on there. It really shows you how much a song can open up if you time your effects right. That album's always amongst my reference CDs!

Yeah man, take a listen to the vocals on Testament's 'The Gathering'. There's some crazy delay automation going on there. It really shows you how much a song can open up if you time your effects right. That album's always amongst my reference CDs!

I'll definitely have to check it out, thanks man.

I'm assuming you mean delay only on certain words or phrases in a song..? I would PM you but I'm sure others would like to know if they don't already :)

Yep. You don't even wanna know what you had to do to create this effect back in the analog days.

I remember one of my first bass & vocal sessions in about 1990 (I was 16!) where IIRC they had two takes of a vocal. One dry and one pre-printed with a delay and the engineer manually switched the faders in between vocal lines to bring in the delay. Cheap'n'nasty but effective.

I loved tape flipping to get reverse delays and reverbs......I remember learning a vocal line phonetically backwards, then flipping the tape over, recording it with a huge reverb, and then flipping it back over. It sounded like pure evil....I wish I still had a copy of it. We stole that idea from the dwarf in the Red Room on Twin Peaks.

I remember one of my first bass & vocal sessions in about 1990 (I was 16!) where IIRC they had two takes of a vocal. One dry and one pre-printed with a delay and the engineer manually switched the faders in between vocal lines to bring in the delay. Cheap'n'nasty but effective.

That's not how you do it. There's really no difference in that and riding the delay returns. You're still not getting the trigger effect.

True....overlooked the "trigger" reference in CJ's post. I thought the reference was merely to getting delay tags on the end of vocals. My bad.

I was too busy trying to steal the engineers share of the drugs, rather than pay attention and learn much in those days......and look where that got me! :D

I loved tape flipping to get reverse delays and reverbs......I remember learning a vocal line phonetically backwards, then flipping the tape over, recording it with a huge reverb, and then flipping it back over. It sounded like pure evil....I wish I still had a copy of it. We stole that idea from the dwarf in the Red Room on Twin Peaks.

another twin peaks fan!!!
huzzah!
one of our latest songs is called.
'who killed laura palmer?' lol

do you mean trigggering delays on certain words like...
'in the air tonight'
what a song

Metal Kindom.. After reading some of your post recently Im really interested in your CV. Dont spose you fancy either sticking something in the Whos who bit or just having a bit of a show off right here? Its not really showing off if someones asked is it?

I automate on everything as needed.

That´s pretty much of it. Automation can be usefull on bigger "operations" as well as on details. Stuff like editing the volume-envelope of a 100 % wet reverb-track from the vocals (as details) or for editing the rhythm-guitar´s volume when 2 additional tracks punch in at the chorus, etc.
If used to once, automation makes life easy.

Seb

I too use automation a lot.

I always use it to modify the snare reverb time during the song.
I also use it a lot to boost a little more delay in some guitar solo or vocal specific parts.

I tend to find most of my automation is on effects, rahter than volumes (bar O/Hs and kicks). Taking the drum reverb(s) up a touch on a big chorus, pulling some out of the vocals in the chugging sections, that kinda thing.

Steve

DAMN IT.

Something else I'll have to learn to get to grips with in Cubase then!! :lol:

Geez, I only just work out how to record "punch-ins" yesterday...

HTML help files are the way forward I presume.

:OMG: The whole automation thing does seem a bit daunting though...

[QUOTE="Evil" Aidy;6349543]DAMN IT.

Something else I'll have to learn to get to grips with in Cubase then!! :lol:

Geez, I only just work out how to record "punch-ins" yesterday...

HTML help files are the way forward I presume.

:OMG: The whole automation thing does seem a bit daunting though...[/QUOTE]

It's very easy, actually. You just have to do it a couple of times - like everything else ...

automation with a control surface is a dream.
i normally do all my rides for one instrument in one pass, so drums one time through the song, normally hats and ride up and down for when they actually play in the song, room and overheads depending on how much is needed when, generaly up for the chorus, sometimes toms, but normally theyre edited and cranked