How much do you edit solos ?

to me it depends more on the style of the song and solo then on the player, but I'm not afraid to do anything, if editing some parts makes it sound more fitting I do it, if leaving it sounds more fitting, I do it. Many times I do record by punching in by sections, or sometimes I even punch in very small sections like 2 notes, or quick runs in parts, recording on top of the first track, if there are some obvious fuck ups on specific notes.

Normally, I prefer to have the guitarist punch in specific notes to fix mistakes in parts during the session than having to resort to editing after the fact, be it with solos or with rhythm

i used to edit my solos alot, but after i got better and payed attention to why i couldnt play it, i do it less and less, that accounts for all my recording actually, the better you get, the less computer editing you need. that said i can perfectly understand the impatience of getting better and working on your weaknesses, i would be a hypocrite if i didnt. and im not saying im not editing at all.

I record about 10 - 15 takes of the entire solo..
Then I break it down and record shorter parts, maybe 10 - 15 takes per part..
I try to take mental notes (and sometimes write down) when playing of which take "felt" the best..
After that I go through the whole takes and write down the priority of them..
If some parts are fucked, then I replace it with another take until I find the right one..

I have never EVER time-aligned solos, nor rythm..
I've found uses for it now, I can see the usefulness of it.. but honestly, I prefer a living sound..

It's just guidelines.. There are rules.. BUT..
If you record yourself, you can do 3000 takes..
If you record a band, you record as many takes as you can get (until you feel that they nailed it) without losing the players feel/patience/concentration..

I felt better reading your answers. On my ep, solos are more or less made of 8 or 16 bars, musical phrases usually lasting around 2 bars, and I do punch in for each of them (unless i got them right from the previous one going on the second one and so on). usually taking a few attemps at least for each musical phrase. Ending up with 8 or 10 punch in sections, plus the (not so) occasional perfected precise parts, and each of them usually took me an average of 10 attempts to get it right and groovy (some more, some up to something like 20 if not 30, not necessarily the technical ones, but the very groovy ones like tasty bend or things like that). Then a little editing to correct the few parts that are just a little bit off, or where the timing of what I wrote for the song was not exactly followed. Depended on the solo as well. There's a bluesy/jazzy one that is very tricky to play, but another quite regular and easy one didn't took me more than a few punch ins in some parts to get it right.