How much should one pay for a 2nd hand Gibson Les Paul Standard? Pitfalls?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hi guys,

Ive been playing my Ec-1000 VB for some time now, and whilst its a lovely guitar, it really doesnt have that les paul tone that I was really after (actually I think the normal ec-1000's do more, but this one is obviously much thinner which does have its pros, but yeh).

So i've decided its time to splurge on a gibson les paul standard. My first question is, how much do you pay for one?

Second is that this is likely to be bought without playing it if its a long ranger, so I was wondering if there are any particular pit falls with them? I know for example snapped headstocks are a regular occurance. Its a bit dodgy buying out of ebay with someone you dont know as well, and as far as I know once you've sent someone the money, if the guitar doesnt turn up you've not got a leg to stand on either right!?

Here are two that I have my eye on:

The first is a goldtop showcase 89, being sold for £700 in my area, the 2nd is a regular les paul gold top going for £800 a bit further away. These are the best priced ones i've seen so far, as on evil bay they seem to range from £1000-1400. Good prices, no? I usually look at importing from the states, but it seems it just isnt any cheaper at all on these.

Goldtop2.jpg

Goldtop%201.jpg

Have you considered just changing your pickups?

There's a lot of talk about how different woods have particular characteristics and while it plays a minor role, the pickups have the biggest difference.

Are you playing/recording through a real valve amp? Most guitars don't get a chance to shine if they're just blasted through digital pre-amps.

I have a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II in my Epiphone Les Paul and I defy anyone to tell the difference! It sounds gorgeous.

* And personally I would NEVER buy a guitar without playing it first. You get good and bad batches in all guitars, regardless of price.

Yeah, tbh £800 doesn't sound that bad for a standard if it is a goldtop, I was checking them out a few months ago and they are a lot more expensive than just regular colours for some reason. To be honest I wouldn't run the risk of buying a Gibson without trying in person though, sure you know about the horrendous quality control.

You'd be better off with a really good Epi Les Paul Custom, or a knock-off such as an Agile, Edwards, or Dillion. Far superior value to price ratio (my Agile Les Paul is honestly better than any Gibson I've played (except the Customs) and I only payed $325 for it [goes for $500 new])
Just my two cents. Never been a huge fan of the standards. The only Gibson I would personally shell out for would be a Les Paul Custom (best guitar on the planet as far as I am concerned. But then again they are ~$3500-$4000)

Öwen;10043669 said:
Yeah, tbh £800 doesn't sound that bad for a standard if it is a goldtop, I was checking them out a few months ago and they are a lot more expensive than just regular colours for some reason. To be honest I wouldn't run the risk of buying a Gibson without trying in person though, sure you know about the horrendous quality control.

Horrendous quality control? I toured the factory and they said every single guitar that doesn't meet the standards is destroyed and used for scrap wood. Every Gibby I have played has been really good, but aint worth the price (see my above post.) Maybe I have just been lucky.

I've seen them go for the price roughly several times. You can buy a NEW Gibby Les Paul Studio for 700 locally.

Yeah, but we're talking about a Standard.

It's extremely rare to see a Standard sell for less than $1300, usually they're up around $1800.

Horrendous quality control? I toured the factory and they said every single guitar that doesn't meet the standards is destroyed and used for scrap wood. Every Gibby I have played has been really good, but aint worth the price (see my above post.) Maybe I have just been lucky.

Quality control is pretty inconsistent. I have a PRS Custom 24, which claim even tighter quality control than Gibson ie. No factory seconds (B Stock). If a PRS guitar is flawed in any way, they supposedly cut the guitars up whereas Gibson just sell them at a slightly reduced price. My PRS's 12th fret Bird is flush and the glue holding it in is starting to peel away and beneath the truss rod cover, there's a big chip in the laquer! Pure quality!

I've played hundreds of fresh Gibsons straight out the box from the factory.

Practically no brand new guitar is set up properly regardless of expense in my experience.

I think they are massively overpriced for what they are, although they are beautiful and do sound excellent. Not a fan of the necks generally though, except the Classic range. Cheaper, with a thinner neck.

I'm a total Les Paul fanboy, I have 9 of them, 5 at home, 4 at the studio. The price of LP Standards in the UK has just increased to around £2040. If you can get a legit good condition second for 800 bucks, I'd be all over it.

What year is the regular GT?

I'm a total Les Paul fanboy, I have 9 of them, 5 at home, 4 at the studio. The price of LP Standards in the UK has just increased to around £2040. If you can get a legit good condition second for 800 bucks, I'd be all over it.

What year is the regular GT?

WTF? Seriously?

A Gibson Les Paul Standard now costs £2040?

Only a few years back when I worked in a guitar shop, they retailed at £1399!

I must admit I'm out of touch with today's guitar pricings, I'm gonna go have a quick Google, but they can't have gone up that much, surely?

* Wherever you're buying them from, they must love you!

Yeah, as of a couple weeks ago I think. The Traditional model is still under 2k but not by much.

Mine have been accumulated over the last 20 or so years , I'll mebee post some pics, it'll give me an excuse to take some decent shots.

I wouldn't buy a LP studio )the second one looks like a studio).....not even a standard without having played it extensively!
better get an ESP Eclipse...better guitar for less money.

with the LP studio you get a 3 piece body of shit quality wood with lots of holes drilled into it to reduce the way, POOR fretwork, average pickups

I'll have to agree with Lasse...

Go and play the fuck out of a Gibson before you buy.

(the second one is NOT a studio btw)

Got a les paul platinum (studio) at my house this week. VERY solid guitar. The guy i'm borrowing it off of works with me and has offered to sell me it. Reckons he paid £1100 at the time. I wonder what a good price is for that without ripping him off. I still have my eye on the standard gold top as well lol.

Got a les paul platinum (studio) at my house this week. VERY solid guitar. The guy i'm borrowing it off of works with me and has offered to sell me it. Reckons he paid £1100 at the time. I wonder what a good price is for that without ripping him off. I still have my eye on the standard gold top as well lol.

i love the platinums!

Yeh its a really nice guitar, bags of tone! Apparently these dont have cheesehole weight relief either. I am in a dilemma with what to offer him for it though. It is still technically a studio all said and done. I am thinking a max of £650 perhaps.