which guitar should I get?

which one?

• Total voters
May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
I wanna sell my esp ltd h-100. I don`t really know why :). it looks cool and sound great with the sh-6 in it, but its just not metal enough and I want a new guitar...
my main guitar is a ibanez rg570 with an sh-4 in it. sounds awesome. love the duncan sound. never played emgs before. but, for more versatility(so I can choose emg or duncan(in the rg) and because most metal guitarists use them, I`m thinking about getting some with the new guitar. and I want a fixed bridge.

so, my main contestants are: either a ltd mh-400nt or a les paul style guitar (epiphone custom black or ltd ec-500 / ec-1000).(price range ~700€ (500$))

If I were tall and fat and had long hair I would get a les paul, but the mh is a git I would normally get, looks good on me..:)
So I played a mh-400 today, and I dunno..., sounded.... crappy?
ok, it was tuned to E and had pussy strings on it and the amp was on 1, but still, I guess I`m just used to the duncans..., the metallic sound of the emgs is cool, but almost too plastic with the fireball. or not?
havent played a les paul yet (through an amp).
what do you guys think?

I vote EC-500, since it's all Mahogany, whereas the MH-400NT has a maple neck (thus brighter tone). I have an EC-400 (the predecessor) and absolutely adore it, it's sounds so ridiculously good, I can't see why anyone would spend the extra for the 1000 (except for the looks/bridge/tuners - so a pretty big difference, I guess, but still, the EC-400/500 stay in tune great and rule!)

And Epiphone...uggghhh, not even in the same league

Oh, and I'm tall, but neither fat nor long-haired, and I think the EC-400 looks pretty good on me :D

l_748cb23b7473d1501154b5012d85d8d8.jpg

I have that guitar. The PURPLE ltd .

Best guitar ever for the price. You must've just played a shitty one or something.I'm 6'2 and no hair. I wear my guitar pretty high. I don't look that bad, I mean I'm fairly ugly you know...I went to a bar the other day and told the bartender to make me a zombie, He told me god beat him to it....
But jests aside. It's a very nice guitar not too heavy but sounds really heavy.

Back when I had hair.
301254.jpg

Les Pauls sound good too , they both do. My buddy has a les Paul and It sounds good but then there;s that whole deal with tone in the fingers and such,. He sounds pretty much the same through my guitar as well so.... You just gotta test em both out.

I had the MH400NT and have owned an EC1000.

I'd get the EC1000, out of the two, but I'd MUCH rather save up a bit and get an Edwards LP (which I have now) or a real ESP Eclipse II.

The MH400NT is "set-thru" (AKA deep-set neck tenon, basically), not neck thru. It was a touch brighter than the EC1000, but I'll chalk that up to body shape.

That said... the MH400NT was crap as far as resonance goes. Felt super dead. This will vary from guitar to guitar, but I'd be willing to bet more EC1K's resonate better than MH400NT's, because of the body style.

And all THAT said, the nicer woods used in the ESP and Edwards, and/or the full size, huge body of an Edwards LP, will resonate much better than either, and you won't have to play a bunch to find one made from a nice piece of wood - they're all made from nice pieces of wood.

Now that I have a nice, thick, resonant Les Paul... I'm honestly not sure anything else could compare for metal. It's just that killer - huge low end that's tight as hell, super clean and clear overall. Very 'monolithic' sounding, but still tight.

Ehh that maybe true, but in the overall grand scheme of things for a one guitar live use, I need something that sounds good and is comfortable to play which is why I went with the MH, cause those pauls are HEAVY as shit. Plus I need 24 frets, and easy access to all of them some subconcious thing in my head tweaks me out when theres less, or when it's difficult to get up there comfortably. So I'd take that into acount. Ideally you'd want a paul for recording, and a soloist type for live playing and moves and all the 84 Van Halen stunts. Unless of course you can jump around with the paul. :headbang:

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that - the high fret access on my EC-400 is laughably awful, but it doesn't bother me cuz I have an RG. And DSS3, I'd never heard of Edwards until you mentioned them, and after looking them up, I see they're a Japan-only division of ESP, but considered to be higher quality than LTD or even ESP standards? If that's the case, I wonder why they're relatively cheap (most <$1000) on ebay...

Oh, and DSS3, why do you think the shape of the body (LP vs. Super Strat) has an impact on tone? That seems odd to me...

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that - the high fret access on my EC-400 is laughably awful, but it doesn't bother me cuz I have an RG. And DSS3, I'd never heard of Edwards until you mentioned them, and after looking them up, I see they're a Japan-only division of ESP, but considered to be higher quality than LTD or even ESP standards? If that's the case, I wonder why they're relatively cheap (most <$1000) on ebay...

Oh, and DSS3, why do you think the shape of the body (LP vs. Super Strat) has an impact on tone? That seems odd to me...

This is mine (pickups are now EMGs):

IMG_0305.jpg

I got it for $825 off a guy from the Harmony Central forums, in dead mint condition. It owns the shit out of any Gibson I've ever played, at over half the price.

Why wouldn't the shape impact tone? Throwing all other factors aside (neck joint, scale length, neck and body wood, # of frets, bridge style, pickups), the LPs body shape gives it more contact with the neck, and more wood period in the body, but specifically around the bridge. It's going to resonate more, probably sustain better, and have a 'fuller' sound.

The shape of the body has a huge impact on the tone of the guitar. I absolutely love Rhoads', but the old one I had sounded like shit (Floyd + no wood near the bridge = recipe for lack of balls and depth IMO, and yes, it was an RR-1), so the only way I'd ever get one is if it was made of mahogany, had a hardtail bridge, and the body was about half an inch thicker.

Oh right, when you said shape, I thought more of the aesthetics and not the quantifiable bits such as body contact with the neck/more wood around the bridge. What were those Duncans in there, and how'd they sound?

I love my MH400NT. Still the best sounding 6-string I own, better sounding than some custom ESPs I've played. And it is very awesomely dark purple!

JB/59 - sounded like very loose, buzzy shit in the bridge, and very muddy, dull shit in the neck. :lol:

Hahaha, that sounds about right. If I were you, I'd replace those knobs with gold metal ones, just so it doesn't look so vintage...but that's just me

Kaz's MH400NT is also rediculously comfortable. It's the guitar I pick up anytime I'm in his studio to jam ideas with. I love the playability of the neck and (with an 85/89 set) it sounds great. Come to think of it, it may be an 81/85 set, but whichever, its badass.

Kaz's MH400NT is also rediculously comfortable. It's the guitar I pick up anytime I'm in his studio to jam ideas with. I love the playability of the neck and (with an 85/89 set) it sounds great. Come to think of it, it may be an 81/85 set, but whichever, its badass.

85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck. 89 in the neck someday maybe... definitely cooler...