What guitar should we buy to record our album ?

I own an ESP Eclipse and my brother and a good friend of mine both own EC-1000s. I gotta be honest that I'm pretty unimpressed with the LTDs compared to the ESPs. The necks feel completely different and the LTDs seem to have a small fret buzz problem. There's a bigger jump in quality between ESP and LTD than you might think. I woudn't trade my Eclipse for anything but a handful of other guitars. But I'd rather own a C-1 Hellraiser than an EC-1000 in all honesty.

Soundwise, in shootouts the ESP is much tighter on the low end and the top end is noticeably smoother. But I really can't stress that it's MUCH TIGHTER ON THE LOW END.

Sweet [insert religious icon of choice here] Joe, never apologize for being a dick. The pro recording world is a shark tank filled with alpha dogs who're strapped, cocked and loaded with armor-piercing, hollow point opinions of doom and I accepted this fact looong ago, so don't worry about it. :)

Incidentally, I survive the recording world and working as a salesman selling audio by zoning out and thinking of unicorns whenever clients start getting into what I like to call the holy-crap-I-just-about-passed-out-I-care-so-little zone. So it's funny you should mention that.

But no, praise Allah, I've never been burned by a guitar company, but I've seen many people who have and played their guitars. Needless to say, they kinda got the short end of the stick, but that being said, I've played some great, more inexpensive foreign guitars. Just luck of the draw, I guess. But resale always matters. What happens next album if they decided they hate it's sound? Or they're looking for a little different flavor? Resale is like vacation; it's not all the time, but it's good to have one once in a while.

If your problem with LTD is the resale, then the obvious choice is to buy a used guitar. That way someone else has already paid the "resale cost". And if you ever need to resell, you'll get about what you paid for it.

Cheaper LTDs are pretty shitty, and the more expensive ones are pretty nice. The old 400 series were a great bang for the buck, now that they're made in Indonesia, I don't know how well they'll hold up.

Soundwise, in shootouts the ESP is much tighter on the low end and the top end is noticeably smoother. But I really can't stress that it's MUCH TIGHTER ON THE LOW END.

Oh so true. I love the ec-1000 in it's price range, but when i have more cash in the future, a ESP is definitly on the list

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all about the Horizon, that's neck-thru maple for ya!

the smoothest sounding guitar I have is neckthrough maple ;) (the one that's on all the Alestorm albums)

entire%20front.JPG

+one on the wood of LTD.

quality guitars for a good price, but whenver I compared it to a real ESP the LTD sounded inferior (sustain, attack, character).
good guitars, well built etc, but but it does feel a bit "stock" and lack the quality and character of higher class ESP...then again, those are quite a bit more expensive as well.

about Gibson...I had GREAT Gibsons, some of the best guitars I had, and I had crappy shitlogs with "Gibson" on the headstock, once even the same model and same productionyear as one of the great ones.
quality control sucks and you have to play like 20 to find your goldnugget, that's why I turned the back on gibson.....still wanna have a nice LP Custom one day though

can these do "rock-tones" (think: foo fighters..) as well or are they just metal guitars?

oh and how heavy are they? i suppose quite the same as a les paul? :ill:

Nah, they're lighter than an LP cuz they're sleeker (and aren't you the guy that said he weighed like 225 lbs? ;)), though you'd have a tough time doing rock tones with the stock EMG's (and while they do make a passive version, it has my arch nemesis, the JB in it :erk: )

Wow Lasse, that axe is gorgeous, ESPECIALLY the headstock, hot damn (like the perfect cross between Jackson and ESP) - I guess because it's such high quality wood, the neck-thru maple isn't as annoyingly bright/brittle sounding as my Korean-made Ibanez RG was (for rhythms, anyway, but for leads that brightness gave it an incredible snarl). What are the body wings made out of on it, alder?

Wow Lasse, that axe is gorgeous, ESPECIALLY the headstock, hot damn (like the perfect cross between Jackson and ESP) - I guess because it's such high quality wood, the neck-thru maple isn't as annoyingly bright/brittle sounding as my Korean-made Ibanez RG was (for rhythms, anyway, but for leads that brightness gave it an incredible snarl). What are the body wings made out of on it, alder?

yep, no comparison to Ibanez...my JAckson SL-1, RR-1 and KV2 are way birghter as well (same woods..ah, well, the RR1 is poplar I think)

that ESP has an alder body, here are some more pics:

entire back.JPG

head%20front.JPG

body%20front3.JPG

Nah, they're lighter than an LP cuz they're sleeker (and aren't you the guy that said he weighed like 225 lbs? ;)), though you'd have a tough time doing rock tones with the stock EMG's (and while they do make a passive version, it has my arch nemesis, the JB in it :erk: )
Nope, I'm more like 120 (if I calculated that correctly that is. you know, we weigh stuff differently over here... ;-) ). Last time I played a LP Studio standing up my back hurt quite a bit the next day... :cry:

Sounds good that the LTD seems to be lighter. I hope they have one at the store that I'm going to Tuesday.

I kinda thought that the EMGs wouldn't work to great for Rock... And yeah, I saw that passive version but they don't make that one in Black. :mad:
(Btw what's wrong with the JBs? I have one in my Jackson and I think it's fine. Nothing special or anything but it sounds quite well to me.)

Oh and btw, Markus wasn't there something you didn't like about the 24.75" neck? Just curious, it came to my mind that I read something in another thread but I might be wrong..

Yeah, I mentioned it in this thread too (and in many others, I should just copy/paste and save it in a word document so I have it quick at hand :lol: ) - the main reasons are tension (flubbier, regardless of thicker strings) and intonation (ARRRGGGHHHHH). And I can only hope you're doing the math wrong, 120 lbs. is like Somalian status! :lol: (I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs., and consider myself pretty skinny)