What guitar should we buy to record our album ?

Thinking about it, (and trying to avoid my bias!) I would actually suggest the EC-1000 since it will without question give you the most for your money, and it will probably be alot better for your purposes than any gibson.

I gotta vote H-1001, cuz I can't stand the 24.75" scale length (especially for low tunings) of the EC series - strings are too floppy (in comparison) and intonation is a nightmare.

I'd get a Les Paul studio but yank the bogus tuners and swap them for something better, like Gotohs or Sperzels. While you're at it, get rid of that bunk bridge and put in a Tonepros locking bridge. Add pickups of choice and voila!

...or buy an EC-1000 and not have to replace anything and save a lot of $$ :lol:

~006

Good point. However you're not considering resale value; it is WAY easier to sell big name brand guitars to players of any experience level and genre. And if you're referring to an LTD model, the inherent cheapness; poorly glued necks. Piss-poor fret jobs that slice open hands on long slides, necks that play like a splintered log sanded down by a second grader. If you're referring to an actual ESP, +1.

Sounds like you had a bad experience. That sucks because my EC-1000 kicked the absolute shit out of the Custom 22 and Custom 24 I had, as well as a 70's LP Custom that I owned. Doesn't feel, look or sound cheap to me, in fact it screams $1,200+ guitar IMO. Having owned several guitars upwards of that price-point I think I'd have some credibility there. The neck is perfect for my hand. Haven't heard a single issue with the set-necks, haven't had one with mine yet in the years owning my EC1k. In fact...come to think of it I've never had a single problem with it. Yet what is it about Gibson that everyone and their mom complains about these days? Oh yeah, quality control.

Damn. And, I don't think he said a single word about resale...I believe the question was which guitar would be best for the application.

BTW I own a Gibson Faded Explorer made in 08 and it rocks. But it's one of the 4 at GC that I had played, and it was the only one that was worth a shit out of the bunch.

~006

Good point. However you're not considering resale value; it is WAY easier to sell big name brand guitars to players of any experience level and genre. And if you're referring to an LTD model, the inherent cheapness; poorly glued necks. Piss-poor fret jobs that slice open hands on long slides, necks that play like a splintered log sanded down by a second grader. If you're referring to an actual ESP, +1.

Agreed!

Even the new Gibsons with "shoddy craftsmanship" are way better than LTDs in my opinion. I know I'll receive greif for this, but it's true. :)

I'm not saying LTDs are bad by any means, hell I have owned em, but they can't touch Gibsons in terms of quality of woods, general construction, and huge sound.

Sly, I vote for either a real ESP or a Gibson. Generally, the longer scaled (25.5") will work better for downtuning like Marcus said, but with a balance of a nicely cut nut, thicker strings, and upkeep, it will slay. \m/

-Joe

Didn't mean to come off as a dick in that post, btw. Think of unicorns when you read it.

~006

Sounds like you had a bad experience. That sucks because my EC-1000 kicked the absolute shit out of the Custom 22 and Custom 24 I had, as well as a 70's LP Custom that I owned. Doesn't feel, look or sound cheap to me, in fact it screams $1,500+ guitar IMO. Having owned several guitars upwards of that price-point I think I'd have some credibility there. The neck is perfect for my hand. Haven't heard a single issue with the set-necks, haven't had one with mine yet in the years owning my EC1k. In fact...come to think of it I've never had a single problem with it. Yet what is it about Gibson that everyone and their mom complains about these days? Oh yeah, quality control.

Damn. And, I don't think he said a single word about resale...I believe the question was which guitar would be best for the application.

BTW I own a Gibson Faded Explorer made in 08 and it rocks. But it's one of the 4 at GC that I had played, and it was the only one that was worth a shit out of the bunch.

~006

While I can agree that the higher end LTDs are nice guitars, I really find it hard to believe that you preferred them over a PRS! Whenever I pick up an LTD it feels plasticy to me, regardless of the model. Maybe you preferred the LTDs for playability, but the quality is night and day between the two.

Not as good sustain, plasticy finishes, and man...some really horrible color choices!

I'm not a totaly LTD hater either, but it's a fact that the wood they use is way worse than Gibson. Why would they sell at the price point if this wasn't true?

To each his own I suppose, I just think Gibbys are better. I still might buy an LTD for my metal/recording guitar, because I think they sound fine with EMGs (hell, which guitar doesn't!).

Sly, I'd vote for a REAL ESP dude!

Maybe try some different pickups in that Horizon!

-Joe

Sweet [insert religious icon of choice here] Joe, never apologize for being a dick. The pro recording world is a shark tank filled with alpha dogs who're strapped, cocked and loaded with armor-piercing, hollow point opinions of doom and I accepted this fact looong ago, so don't worry about it. :)

Incidentally, I survive the recording world and working as a salesman selling audio by zoning out and thinking of unicorns whenever clients start getting into what I like to call the holy-crap-I-just-about-passed-out-I-care-so-little zone. So it's funny you should mention that.

But no, praise Allah, I've never been burned by a guitar company, but I've seen many people who have and played their guitars. Needless to say, they kinda got the short end of the stick, but that being said, I've played some great, more inexpensive foreign guitars. Just luck of the draw, I guess. But resale always matters. What happens next album if they decided they hate it's sound? Or they're looking for a little different flavor? Resale is like vacation; it's not all the time, but it's good to have one once in a while.

Oops. It wasn't Joe I was responding to...Plus, I think I came off as a bit of an Alpha Dog dickhead with my response...Sweet! :headbang: Oh wait...no...the other thing...uncool :erk:.

Yeah dude, people here really aren't dicks or aggressive or anything, and if they are, they're usually cut down swiftly :heh:

WestCoastCrush: <3? :)

I would take an ESP over my EC-1000, that's FO GOT DAYUM SHO. And, FWIW, I want a Custom 24 again :lol:

~006