How one band can ruin it for all others ... aka I hate Bloodhound Gang

I love how some of you feel like the country is overreacting, but I guarantee if someone did that with an American flag at ProgPower, all of you would be offended and pissy. Don't blame it all on Russia. It's the band's fault for being moronic assholes.

While I completely and totally understand your frustration and Claus', if a band got banned for shoving a US flag down their pants, that would be an outrage against this country. The first amendment is the first amendment. In particular, flag desecration in America has been deemed protected speech decades ago by the Supreme Court, so any such ban would not only be outrageous but illegal.

I think what the Bloodhound Gang did was immature and insulting, but a civilized nation should allow the arts to say what it wants to say, and efforts to silence the arts reflect on an ultimately uncivilized nation. But given Russia's treatment of gays, I think it's already self-evident that it's an uncivilized nation.

Am I the only one here who's asking why the Boodhound Gang still exists? They haven't released an album in eight years, and they haven't been relevant for thirteen.

That said, I understand Claus's and Milton's frustration, but I have to ask if this would be such a big deal to them if they weren't in the business of booking tours for bands. If this situation didn't directly affect Leprous, would the two of you be nearly as upset over it as you are?

Let's face it. The Russian government needs a wake-up call. They're so behind on the times that it makes the slow-moving gay-marriage approval train of the U.S. look downright space-aged. Though the Bloodhound Gang are certainly not the spokesmen I would have sought out for such a protest, at least they're speaking up.

Milton, you may be right about a number of Americans getting up in arms whenever the American flag is desecrated. However, all flags are merely symbols. You can piss on, wipe your ass with, burn, or tear as many of them as you want, but that doesn't destroy the ideas that shaped them. Unfortunately, folks like those in the Russian government don't understand that idea, and as a result, they go to extremes just like they did with the Olympics. To me, this whole situation looks like a band who already looks bad to the general public for past controversies making one country's government look even worse.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Guys, Russia is in an anti-western mode right now. If they can pass a law to deny Americans the opportunity to adopt Russian orphans because of one asshole, they can do something as stupid as this.

If someone were to desecrate the American flag at ProgPower, that band might not be popular with Americans, but nobody would support banning every band from that country. That's just stupid. I blame the band for being disrespectful, but I blame Russia for being stupid and overreacting.

I don't understand patriotism / nationalism myself (it was nothing but chance that dictated I was born on the part of the world we humans call England, so why should I feel some superficial attachment to - or worse, pride on being a member of - the purely social construct of a 'nation'?), so if someone were to desecrate the English flag or UK flag, I'd not be offended in the slightest.

However, I despise BHG, so feel free to throw the book at them.

That said, I understand Claus's and Milton's frustration, but I have to ask if this would be such a big deal to them if they weren't in the business of booking tours for bands. If this situation didn't directly affect Leprous, would the two of you be nearly as upset over it as you are?

No, I wouldn't care at all!

However, it right now directly affects me, so yes it is a big deal to me.

As I said, this original post was not me trying to get into any political discussion. It was me venting about how the actions of one very immature band would cause a scene and ruin it for other bands who have only good intentions.

The fact that people here spin it into a political discussion is out of my hands ...

Guys, Russia is in an anti-western mode right now.

This. I think they'll look for any excuse at this point to ban Western influence, and that means bands. It will probably mean more soon enough.

Has anyone else seen the documentary on Pussy Riot? Kinda nuts what's going on over there. Check out this lady, a pole vaulter from Russia who defends the current anti-gay "propaganda" laws.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-isinbayeva-defends-antigay-laws-8764393.html

“We just live with boys with woman, woman with boys. Everything must be fine. It comes from history. We never had any problems, these problems in Russia, and we don’t want to have any in the future.”

Yes, silly lady. There have never been any gay Russians. All Russians are "normal". XP

I get you, Claus. The situation definitely sucks for you guys. The political discussion was bound to happen, though.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

If immature bands making immature political statements was rare, I could understand your frustration. But it's not rare, and a country not issuing visas over the actions of one band is a pretty insecure country. Of course, we knew that about Russia anyway. They've had an inferiority complex since Genghis Khan. Their response is logical as far as it goes: it's not so much that they are punishing all bands for what Bloodhound Gang did, so much as that they know other bands will do what they did. Especially with Russia's gay rights issues making headline news right now, you just know some much bigger artists than bloodhound Gang are going to try to make a scene if they get the chance. I think this has more to do with what Madonna or Lady Gaga might do than what Bloodhound Gang actually did.

Basically, Russia= South Africa right now in terms of being the center of a lot of negative attention from artists inclined to make political statements.

As for how American fans would react, we saw how that works with the Dixie Chicks. People do get mad, boycotts happen, but the US government took no action. In a free country, people have the right to get mad and boycott, and supporters of the band in question have the right to make a point of going to their shows to defend their right to speak.

Disrespectful or not, it is totally punk rock and I'm sure the motive behind it was how fucked up Russia is being these days. More power to them (BHG), sorry if it cuts into other people's plans, but hey that is revolution for ya. Besides it is ROCK N ROLL; rock n roll is suppose to be full of stupid stunts to gain attention regardless if it is for the band or the fact Russia are kind of being assholes right now.
Personally I think all bands should refuse to go there right now but it is the way of the world, if the fucked policy of Russia doesn't effect people directly then they don't care.
As for the mention of a Progpower band doing this well that is just funny Milton.

This. I think they'll look for any excuse at this point to ban Western influence, and that means bands. It will probably mean more soon enough.
Best point here, it doesn't matter what BHG did.

Has anyone else seen the documentary on Pussy Riot? Kinda nuts what's going on over there. Check out this lady, a pole vaulter from Russia who defends the current anti-gay "propaganda" laws.

I have seen it.

LOL, you're right... the proggers would play a 39 min long technical drum solo instead. That'd piss me off more. :lol:

I was just thinking I could not see any of those bands taking any such stance or doing anything so daring.
Gotta give it up and credit to BHG here.:headbang: It just sucks that a rock n roll bands political stance infringes on others chances to capitalize.