How Processed is Metal Machine?

Kaleb Formz

Aug 27, 2013
I've been curious about this for a while. I have Slate 3.5 and as of a few months ago Metal machine. I've found for me that Slate needs a bit more processing to sound real good in a mix and sometimes if I don't spend enough time and i'm not home on my monitors it can sound.. not too good.

Metal machine on the other hand. The kit sound real good to me but I hear the Kick think it's not as big and full sounding as some slate kicks. same with toms. Even the snares that sound real good aren't as open and big sounding as Slate.

Yet I can easily get a better mix (Initially) with little processing on Metal Machine. I cut a little but boost and compress and get a good sound. I have to cut a bit with slate sometimes carve (kicks and toms)

So i'm wondering how processed is Metal machine "and" how processed is it in comparison to slate?

:headbang: Thanks

I don't think one is more processed than the other, i think they're just processed differently. I also find metalmachine easyer to use though..

Hey thanks for the response!I know they're both processed differently but if one is more "Mix ready" or easier to get results with wouldn't that be the one that's maybe more processed? or at least more mix ready processed?

I really like Metal Machine for a quick demo. You can throw it on a track, load the initial preset and it works in just about everything.

That being said, I've recently gone back to SSD for drums, after having owned the CLA expansion for several months and never trying it. Currently getting the biggest sounding drums I've ever had, with plenty of clarity and liveliness. I haven't loaded Superior in weeks... the SSD CLA sets are phenomenal, they're blowing my mind after a little EQ and compression! I've never been able to get a kick that sounded as huge and present as I can with the CLA expansion, at least not without it smashing the master or creating a massive amount of bass buildup.

Processed but not hyped, if that makes sense.

exactly. the tuning/micing/mixing is very much geared towards that sneap sound and you won't be able to make it sound like anything else really.

if you are doing metal then sneap is a pretty fucking good thing to be aiming for anyway. I'd say CLA/superior/slate etc have more variety, which isnt always a good thing.

IMHO, it sounds like it has been processed pretty brutally. That's precisely why it does fit into a mix off the bat.

Once you pull down the reverb channel it sounds fairly natural to me. Not saying my mic'd tones are as good, but the way these sound is way more down to the kit choice, mic placement etc than the processing. I can't hear any heavy processing tbh.

Once you pull down the reverb channel it sounds fairly natural to me. Not saying my mic'd tones are as good, but the way these sound is way more down to the kit choice, mic placement etc than the processing. I can't hear any heavy processing tbh.

Wait no. Sorry, I'm thinking of Metalheads.

Doh. Idiot.:guh:

It sounds great imo and mildly processed. Most of it is probably just great tracking. But it can take some processing if you wish.

And compared to SSD for instance I feel that despite of any processing it still feels more "natural" if you know what I mean. Not that "unnatural" is always a bad thing...it depends.

See that's what i'm afraid of. Metal machine just fits cause the way it's processed for that Sneap sound. But to me slate sounds bigger and fuller, Like Matrix Claw I don't want to be missing out and later go back. I know you said CLA changed it for you but I mean you hear about Sturgis, Arce, Etc recording these shitty bands getting a big sound with slate, before the CLA.

The reason I asked this is cause if it is more processed or like you guys say processed towards more of a Sneap sound than I can take that and compare closely and try to process slate like Metal Machine but maybe get a fuller sound cause it's slate

BTW Thanks guys for your replys!

If you think that SSD sounds big and full why don't you just stick to that then? I don't think you need to do any drastic processing really. There are so many choices in it that there's little point in trying to EQ something that's not there.

If you think that SSD sounds big and full why don't you just stick to that then? I don't think you need to do any drastic processing really. There are so many choices in it that there's little point in trying to EQ something that's not there.

Because of what I said earlier I can't get it to sit as well in a mix as Metal machine. The reason I asked this was to get an idea of the processing so I can adjust and try to get "Big drums" so to speak sitting better by a similar process. Just wanted to know for sure of it's processing relative to Slate

I've always associated SSD with big drum sounds that can tend to muddy up and lose definition because of it. Toontrack products have always been the opposite for me, with a cleaner sound that lacks the bigness of Slate samples. With processing, you can do a lot to both, though - But I find it odd that you think that Metal Machine will fit in a mix better, because out of the two companies, Slate is the only one who actually has useful presets. Most, if not all, of my Toontrack package's presets sound worse than the raw kit. I dunno what they're thinking over there, but their stock presets are horrible.

With SSD CLA, it really bridged that gap for me. I own a lot of drum packages, including most of the 3rd party ones made by private studios, and I haven't used anything else since I started using CLA more.

Not to say you can't get great sounds out of Metal Machine, or any other drum samples out of there, but if you already have SSD, I think you should give it more time before you go and spend more money on another package that may or may not work for you (or at least wait till one of the 29873492 sales Toontrack has every year). I've spent A LOT of money buying every drum package I see that sounds even remotely good, and none of that made my mixes sound any better. You need to learn how to actually mix a drum set before you'll see any huge differences.