How safe is Ebay

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi,

Im about to buy a PT HD system, and to get it for a decent price im looking around on ebay. Would you say that Ebay is safe, or is it any chance that you might get ripped off??

Please respond with your experiences. Im aiming for Great britians site. Because we are talking about PT HD there is quite allot of money to throw away in case of a bad deal.

Cheers and thanks in advance / Christian SWE

There's always a chance that you might get ripped off, or something will go awry. That's just the risk you take. Buying from retailers has safety nets, but those aren't fool proof either. I've certainly had my share of hardware woes in recent times, and it's been generally irrespective of whether new or used.

If the seller has a good feedback rating then it's all good and most of the time worth taking the risk, IMO.

I buy and sell stuff on ebay all the time, and never had any problems. They just released a new feature to aid buyers: once you send payment (through paypal) the seller doesn't get access to any of the funds until you recieve the item and approve it, it is delivered succesfully, or 21 days pass without any issues.

So nowadays you can't really go wrong with it, especially if you watch for feedback ratings like Ermz said

But be carefull with paypal. Yeah paypal is very safe, BUT:
Someone hacted into my transaction, and sent me an email from (paypalfjgjjdfhgkkffjgjgkfmddjxxxdfjd@hotpaypal.com)
With all the infos on the payment like xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-1234 (last numbers of the credit card) , my name, the price I payed.....
And everything was looking like a real paypal mail.

This mail wanted my PIN (!!!) of the credit card, for confirmation and more safety. So I become nervous and called paypals hotline, and they told me that I was the 1.000 caller who asked about this problem!!!!!

So be carefull!!!!!

Ebay is hit at miss. Most of the times hit, actually I never had problems myself.
I did read an article about people stealing "good" accounts, like the ones with positive ratings
which got hacked into and are being abused to steal money off you. I'd say this is an exception though.
Looking at the ratings isn't giving you a guarantee but definately should be done if anything.

If you wire your money via bankaccount ahead of getting the product and you happen to
have encountered a fraud you could always try to alarm your bank to get it back.
I had to do this twice (not because of ebay though) and thankfully it worked.

the only time some one scummed me over ebay, it was when I bought a 10 Euros tshirt lol
he had a long list of good feedbacks (and of course some bad feedback about people not having received stuff)
I wanted to take the risk, I bought the t-shirt.
But for some reasons (some days later) ebay closed his shop.
I waited for my tshirt..... it didn't arrive, so I emailed him about not having received my t-shirt and ask him why the shop was closed.
He said ebay are just fucking assholes and promised to send back another t-shirt, unfortunately it didn't arrive even this time, I emailed back another time but he didn't reply... such a greek asshole.
Then I knew why ebay closed his shop lol
In the end I bought a tons of really expensive gear like my dual recto, never had a problem besides a 10 euros scam

Fuck, I've been buying and selling shit on ebay for years, my feedback rating is 121, and as long as you buy from a seller with a decent feedback rating and you ask before buying if you have any doubts as to the quality of the product, you'll be fine! In the past couple of years ebay has shifted to an INCREDIBLY buyer-favoring stance, so it would be a very very bad idea for a seller to try fucking anyone over! (and to register to be a seller, you have to give your checking account and rounting #'s so they can verify you're a real person, they don't fuck around!)

Oh yeah, but I've heard about that whole "the seller doesn't get the money until the buyer leaves pos. feedback" thing, but have yet to have it happen to me, and I've sold so much stuff over the past few months! (as recently as a couple of weeks ago). Maybe it's cuz I have enough positive feedbacks that they don't feel the need to bother anymore...

been on ebay for years, selling and buying.. never had a problem. i always go by the seller rating and how many transactions they have to get that rating. i mean 1 purchase can give you a 100% rating... doesn't mean shit.... but 3000+ transactions with a 100% rating (or even somewhere in the high 90's.... there's always one or two jag-offs that will complain about something after thousands of transactions) is a really good rating. people spend years building their seller reps, which are as good as gold on eBay. they won't piss that away just to rip off one guy.

also, ask Lasse, he got his PTHD from ebay.

ebay.jpg

^
| ROFLcoptor!

Seriously though, dude, I've been a member of eBay for over a decade. Back when it wasn't even as safe. I've NEVER been ripped off. Maybe I'm just lucky. I remember one of the first purchases I made being one of those little Smokey amps made out of a pack of Marlboro cigarettes. The last thing I bought I just received last week: Original KRK V8 MKI's! Kudos to Jens Bogren for the tip. These are great monitors!